🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advantages to using DLLs?

Started by
1 comment, last by UraniumRod 24 years, 4 months ago
Well are there any clear advantages to using a dll rather than having all of your functions in your executible? Is it worth the time and effort? And I''m talking about games here not drivers UraniumRod
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
Advertisement
sure there are. Say that you want to optimise for a cpu. Oh wait, that is a driver type. Say you want to make your game capable of addons without distributing the core source code. You could also use dll''s for distributing parts of your code that you want to leave open source. Say the rendering dll. It could be ported to software, OpenGL, DirectX. Just a few examples
Or maybe there''s a terrible bug in one of your .dlls. You just fix the bug, compile the new dll and upload it. That way users that have already downloaded (or bought) the game just have to download one file instead of the entire game.
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement