🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DVD Region Locks and Games

Started by
0 comments, last by Jeranon 24 years, 4 months ago
Someone I know brought this up in a conversation and it got me thinking. When (or maybe if) software starts to arrive on DVD media, could the region lock be used by the installer as a means of keeping software versions (North American version, Asia Pac version, European version, etc) separate? A new form of software marketing? Fully hypothetical. There is no need to dispute with the reason that people may still have CD drives, or that the check could be done by asking Windows what region is set, etc.
JeranonGame maker wannabe.
Advertisement
DVD-ROM standards are a lot more relaxed than DVD-Video, and Im pretty sure that there is no region locking on DVD-ROM''s.

However, they are pushing DVD-Audio, which is to be even more stricly region locked, and if they do that, i will NEVER buy another audio disc again. Region locking is stupid, and provides no protection against pirating (like they claim it does), and it only helps companies keep hold of their monopolies.

90% of the music I listen to is available in Europe *ONLY*, and if they implement region locking, I say screw them.

Since when does a company have the right to say which countries I can watch or listen to something in?

===============================================
I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
Round and round they sped. I was disturbed at this; I accosted the man.
"It is futile," I said, You can never -- "

"You lie," he cried, And ran on.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement