🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C++ books compared to C books

Started by
3 comments, last by Fredric 24 years, 4 months ago
Just about every thriving game programmer out there has a least heard of Andre LaMothe's collection of game programming books. He is so well known because of the quality of his books. I don't disagree with this- Andre's books are quite very well done, but what about the 'other' game programming authors? I ask this because I am learning C++. Once I know as much C++ as I need to make a game, I'm going to go right ahead and do it- BUT- I can't use Andre's collection of books that he has written. Why? Because they're all in C! Are there any books, you that you people know of, that are game programming books in C++? Perhaps I'm wrong, and Andre has one C++ book out there, but I'm not sure. I need a C++ book, but C. Thanks for your help! Edited by - Fredric on 2/26/00 10:14:00 AM
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
Technically, if your windows source ends in .cpp, it really is a c++ program (if it compiles). So technically, Andre''s newest two books are in c++. They really both use a structural approach though. If you are looking for a book that uses a more object-oriented style, Real-Time strategy game programming is the only one I have seen. It''s not the greatest though.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
All of Andre''s books are in C ya smart arse!
That game programming book that teaches you how to make a strategy game got some pretty cheese reviews, so I''d rather not go there.
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Actually, André Lamothe''s books are in C++. You can''t do this in C:
unsigned char* video_buff = lpddsprimary->Lock();
That is C++ code.
That guy who worte RTS game programming for DX 6 is making a new book called RTS game programming for DX 7, lets hope its better... Comes out sometime this year.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement