Doing My Own Graphics

Started by
10 comments, last by rjahrman 22 years, 4 months ago
I just want to make shareware games (but maybe someday one will go commercial). I am a competent programmer, but I''ve always had trouble with the art side of games. I''ve never been much of an artist, but I''ve always wondered how some games get such good 2D art and textures. Does anyone have suggestions on how I could (or learn how to) do my own artwok? What techniques should I use? I''m just doing isometric games and side-scrollers.
Advertisement
For a big commercial game you can expect they have a team of artists that do nothing but art, a team of designers that do nothing but design, and a team of programmers that do nothing (heh). If you are a one man crew it is expecting a lot to do all of that. If you have a friend who likes to draw and what not why not recruit him/her and then you can focus on the programming and/or designing.
My best suggestion is get a copy of Rhino3d. Its probably one of the more simpler 3d modelers out there, and for a beginning artist its great to make things that "work". I know of many programmers that use Rhino3d to make functional art.

If your looking to learn how to draw, I''d suggest "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Barbara Edwards. Its a guide for analytically minded and drawing-impotent people to get a kick start. Has a lot of references to a cognative reasons and developmental reaons for why people can''t draw (and tells you how to overcome them).

Aside from that, Paint Shop Pro is great too Just practice and don''t be ashamed. Once you have something finished, finding a real artist is going to be much easier. I''m sure just about any one of us would jump at an opportunity to have a finished game that needs an artist to fill in the blanks

No offence, but programmers can be a real pain in the @$$ to deal with sometimes ;p

-T
- T. Wade Murphy
Thanks. However, could anyone reccomend which method would be the best for someone in my situation?
Hi rjahrman,

The only suggestion that I can give you is to get a good paint program like Paint Shop Pro or even better Adobe Photoshop if you can afford it and just practice and learn different
techniques from tutorials. Drawing with a mouse is also difficult I would try to get myself a drawing tablet.

PaulJ

[edited by - PaulJ on March 27, 2002 11:10:47 PM]
Also, in some of LaMothe''s books he mentions doing art pixel-by-pixel in Paint Shop Pro. Would you recommend doing this?
sure.. with pixel by pixel art, you have total control of your artwork.. but the time creating something that moves smoothly becomes a time comsuming process. but for a 2d game.. sure.....why not

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

for 2d pixel Art, PaintshopPro or MSPAint(Pbrush) are quick and easy to use.

for 3d you could prefer 3ds-(gmax version is free) or Maya (free trial version too)
or if you don''t have money , strata or truespace(or anim8or)

for 3d low poly Gsmax or Milkshape are better.

if you want diablo style : build 3d model and then convert to 2d sprites

if you want MarioBros or FF6 style try paintshoppro
(here we have V.4 for free )you can try Pixia too
I suggest 3D Studio if you really want to do it for urself. But dont ever think it will be a short time to learn to draw or use any painting program. No offence, but programmers generally think they r smarter and can handle everything, included some artwork. And they generally fail, and realise the fact that we are needed too, and our job is as hard as theirs. But again..as everyone can learn code(i guess) everyone can learn how to draw. Its just time consuming, and you really really have to want it. Practice and dont give up...your first tries will be shitty as hell..so was mines too Practice and you will succeed
" de sagittis ungarorum libera nos Domine"West-European pray in 900AD
I can draw and program. I guess I''m weird. :p

Frenchfries are not good, unless drenched in grease.

Owner of Nebulasoft Interactive
Team member of C++ RPG

Compilers:

DJGPP with Allegro
Bloodshed Dev-C++ 4.01

Current Projects:

War of the Unknown - Dark Crystal Story - 2%
Text based RPG game (no name yet) - 7%
Blood Squadron - 15%
"Make a world of your own" - Kurt Cobain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement