🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Inventory to RPG

Started by
1 comment, last by Zombie 24 years, 4 months ago
Which of these two inventory types would be the best: Ultima 7/8-style (many storages, items can be moved freely) Might & Magic 6/7-style (one storage, items are in a grid) I guess that most of current RPG''s and adventure games use the last style, but what do you think? Are there any other inventory styles?
Advertisement
Well, there''s also the "list" approach - just list all the contents of the inventory as plain text. It''s still used in some games, and it''s not that bad - it allows items to be manipulated and identified very easily (no "what''s that bluish splat supposed to be?"). But to answer your question, I think the Ultima 7/8 style was a stupid experiment that just made things more difficult for the player (the sacks that you had to use to keep any order looked all the same). I recommend the grid approach, but with some extra storage possibilities like sacks, though (Ultima Underworlds had a "grid", but with container objects).
Painless is right. The easier approach for you and the user is the list-style inventory. However, if you want something more, well, complicated, then you should go for the Might and Magic grid-style inventory. However, as painless said, it becomes difficult to determine what every image represents. So you should include a box that displays the name of the of the item that the pointer is currently over.

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no fooling around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London
D:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement