🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Teen programmer...just some rambling....

Started by
30 comments, last by yeldarB 24 years, 4 months ago
Just to add my 2 cents to the discussion about "self-taught".
I learned QBASIC with nothing but the in-editor help files.
I learned the very basic concepts of C from a really good book (C Programming in 12 Easy Lessons by Greg Perry...great for beginners). But I used the help file in my Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 for DOS to expand my knowledge to about 5x what the book taught me. (keep in mind this was before I had internet access....so no asking anybody for help!).

So, by my definition of self-taught, which means that you didn''t have a book or a teacher to help you learn, then I would say I self-taught myself those 2 languages (among others...but I won''t get into that here.)

I''m 17 now, and working on my first 3D engine. I''m still trying to get the hang of BSP trees and portal rendering and all that. I''ve been using C/C++ for a little under 4 years now.

Anyway, to yeldarB - I would say you should either get a beginners'' C book (see reference above), or take a C class. If you learn C, C++ isn''t that much harder, but I would think that starting with C++ might be a bit much (maybe I''m wrong...). Once you know at least the basics of the language, then all the code you look at on the internet will make a lot more sense, and self-teaching yourself from there shouldn''t be too hard.

One last note - a great book for getting into game programing if all you know is C/C++ is "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre Lamothe. It taught me all the Win32 programming and DirectX that I needed to get started. I now use OpenGL for rendering, but that book will get you jump-started really quickly and painlessly.

gameguru4@yahoo.com
Advertisement
I''m 3 and a half years old, and I''ve been programming C++ for 2 years. I learned by eating pages from "c++ for dummies".

Linear Algebra, Dynamics, Calculus, and Computer Science aren''t necessary! I learned Visual Basic while I was still in the womb!

Later,
chimp39218@microsoft.com
I''m 17 well I''ll be 17 at the end of march, I''ve been confined to a POS computer so I haven''t been able to experiment much only design things. I just recently got a computer that could actualy do more than just word process and barley run the net, I''m starting development of a 3D modeling program for use in my games. I''m also toying with the idea of creating a sound utility.
Well, I''m not such a good programmer in any way, but still i''m "self taught" I started with c/c++ for about 2½ years ago and read some on and off, and havent begun to really understand it now! So in the last 6 months i''ve been reading alot of gameprogramming related stuff, and will do my first game this sumer, then i dont know what to do... i guess I''ll read even more and then some more, and some schoolwork
i''m 16 btw..

Martin Björklund
Diemonex Games
yeah, well, my parents haven''t even met yet..
anyway..
I feel kind of out of place in this thread: I''m 20 and have only been programming for less than a year and a half.. I started with C, and I''m steadily learning C++ now. I found it quite easy to start programming, as long as you do things reasonably gradually. I suggest you get a book from somewhere, because it''s very easy to slip into bad programming techniques and habits. Good structure and design helps immeasurably.
Learn the basics of the language, as well as the basics of programming, and you''ll find that the more you learn, the easier it is to learn new things.
I learned C strictly from tutorials on the web. About a month after I started learning it, I took a course on it in college, and the only thing it covered that I hadn''t learned from the tutorials and experimentation on my own was linked lists, though there are a number of tutorials on them around, and they''re really not complicated.
A good C/C++ compiler is DJGPP, a DOS port of gcc. And the price is right: free.

So yeah, learning to program isn''t too difficult (easier for some than others perhaps, but do-able for anyone with the motivation), and it doesn''t take too long, as long as you put the effort into it. Your attitude towards it seems to be much like mine, which I think helps alot over someone who starts programming because they want to make a Quake killer, because they''ll likely get frustrated.

I suggest frequenting this site and msg board (I''ve found it very helpful) and other good sites you can find in the links section.
hi, i''m a sperm and i''ve been programming for... okay, enough beating the dead horse.

i''m 16 and i started out on a MUD called Dragon Realm. Dragon Realm uses LPC, so i learned the basics of C there. then i took a C++ course at school, and basically have been just buying books on things i don''t know about and absorbing them...

_________________Gecko___
Gecko Design

_________________Gecko___Gecko Design
TO be quite honest, I dont remember actively trying to learn programming , hell I didnt even know I new how to program until like 12 years ago .
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
OK, I''m 16, and I have been programming (with various languages) for six years (started with basic, ofcourse .
Now I have been programming with C for two years, but I''m not "elite" coder:
I had hard time to study C, and I''m also selftaught person. I cannot create anything really "weird", like 3D-engine, but I know 2D concepts pretty darn well (after three games and who-wants-to-count never finished projects).

I''m not mathematically gifted, I think

I am 15 almost 16 on 4/13, born on friday the 13th hehe on a stormy night too; anyway. I program with VB6, which sucks, and am wanting to get into C/C++. I have a great game planned but since I am using VB and learning on my own with the web, I just plain suck at it. So I am really hoping I learn C++. check out my site CAMcoVB: Games in the making."

Eat a Beaver, Save a Tree... =0).
Eat a Beaver, Save a Tree... =0).
I''m 14 years old and started programming in QBASIC at seven. I only recently started in C/C++. I hate being the only one around this stupid place (where I live) where nobody knows what C/C++ even is!

After seeing it written down they say something like "hey, what''s C t t? That sounds complicated!" AGH!!

Anyway, those blessed with parents who are professors in Computer science, I have to tell you something.... that''s right... come closer to the screen.... yeah... that''s good.... I HATE YOU!!!!

Anyway, Books are the place to start if you can''t take any highschool/college courses. If those, however, are available to you, take it!

Talking to people is a lot better than reading black ink that doesn''t respond when you ask questions (trust me, I''ve tried. And if it does respond, you''ve got some issues to resolve )

Good luck on your programming!

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no fooling around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London
D:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement