🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

vc++ install problems.

Started by
3 comments, last by lpsoftware 24 years, 4 months ago
Hey, just got vc++ yesterday and after about 2 hours I finally got it working. This is what happened: As soon as installation started, it told me to close Visual Basic, which was running in the background according to the install wizard. Problem is, I don''t even have VB on my system. Well I pressed "Continue" as I couldn''t close a program that I don''t even have. Install ran smoothly. After the install, it just gave a very untimely message saying this, and only this: "The installation has failed." Well, I got pretty cheezed and I tried to just run vc++ from windows explorer. 2 dll''s were missing and msdev.exe was corrupt. Arrgh. So, (after trying the install another 2 times) I searched the cdrom for the files, including msdev.exe, and copied them to their appropriate directories. It worked. Has this ever happened to anyone? Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
Advertisement

Something similar happend to me when installing with Word or Excel running in the background (don''t remember which).

It said something about VB being running, which was NOT running, but maybe the VB runtime for VB Script was loaded which caused the error message....dunno. I closed the app and re-ran the installation and everything was ok.

-mordell

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
Microsoft makes good products, but their installation routines are terrible at reporting errors! I could easily handle it if they said "File xxx is corrupt or not present" or "Newer version of file xxx reported" or some such error. But simply reporting that the routine failed? Why?

And their installation programs almost ALWAYS fail for me, even on a clean install of Windows. Some versions of the MS install program even presented the failed message if you simply quit setup without installing or by clicking the Cancel button on the first window that popped up.

I'm not an expert on setup programs, but why don't they just use InstallShield?

Good Luck!

- null_pointer

Edited by - null_pointer on 2/28/00 7:55:22 AM
Of course, It''s always a good idea to do a fresh reboot before installing new software. This can (sometimes) avoid these types of problems.
- Ryan -
Yes, after using Vc++ for a couple of days, I have to say that even though the install was frustrating, I''m extremely happy with it. Also, I''m learning a lot of DirectX!

Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement