🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Visual C++ Introductory Edition

Started by
3 comments, last by meepit 24 years, 4 months ago
Does anyone know how to bypass that annyoing message box that appears when you run a program compiled with Visuall C++ Introductory Edition???
Advertisement
Although it may be possible, it''d be unethical to do so, as it''s probably a violation of the EULA. The message box is the trade off for the low price you paid for the compiler. If you really want to get rid of the message box, upgrade to the full version, or pick up the academic edition.
Could someone fill me in on what differences there are between the Introductory version of VC++6.0, and say the professional or enterprise version?
Could someone build an executable game with the intro version?

thanks!
The introductory edition is a "get to know the compiler" edition. It''s against the license agreement to distribute applications made with the introductory edition. Also some of the runtime libraries seem a little wacked (to use the technical term for it).

Next up is the standard edition, which is the most basic of the compilers that allows you to distribute the apps. It really has all the functionality you need to program most applications.

After that is professional edition which has some additional perks over standard, (not really worth the money, IMO). I don''t remember the perks, which is how little of an impression it made on me.

After that is enterprise edition which has some good client/server support built in, as in databases, MTS components, etc. Which is pretty worthless if you plan to only make games.

IMO, best bang for your buck is Standard edition, especially with the rebate offer I hear that''s going on right now. If you''re a student, I believe you can get Professional for the same price as standard with an academic discount,
The professional edition includes an optimizing compiler and profiler, which are 2 of the biggest advantages, IME. It''s nice, but not really necessary if you are just learning.

If you qualify for the academic discount (i.e. you''re a student), then I see no reason to get the introductory version. You can get the standard, pro, and enterprise versions at academic prices. The only difference is that the license agreement doesn''t allow you to distribute the executables. Perfect for learning. The standard version at academic pricing is about the same as the introductory version, and the pro version is about twice that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement