🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AI for horizontal shooter

Started by
2 comments, last by frenchfry164 22 years, 3 months ago
Will I need AI for the enemies, or can I just make random numbers for the enemies movement? ------------------------------ Frenchfries are not good, unless drenched in grease. Owner of Nebulasoft Interactive Team member of C++ RPG Compilers: DJGPP with Allegro Bloodshed Dev-C++ 4.01 Current Projects: War of the Unknown - Dark Crystal Story - 2% Text based RPG game (no name yet) - 7% Blood Squadron - 15%
"Make a world of your own" - Kurt Cobain
Advertisement
You can do whatever you like... think about what exactly you want to achieve, and then we can help you to do that.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions ]
i don''t think you will need very complex AI for that kind of thing, but you will need a bit more than just random numbers. most games like that (in my limited experience) tend to have the enemies move in various patterns, and a few of the tougher ones actually follow the player around or move in a semi-intelligent way.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
(The following response is suitable to ANY game AI development, not just a side shooter...)

Write yourself a design spec for the behaviours of the computer controlled ''agents'' within the game, be they gun turrets, missiles, other ships, the ''boss'' at the end of the level. Imagine the game in your mind as if you were playing it and write down the sorts of behaviours you''d like to see demonstrated by the computer. Do you want missiles to fire before you get to them? Do you want gun turrets to follow (track) your ship? What special tactics should each ''boss'' have?

Once you''ve figured out this, then you can investigate the likely technologies for implementing them.

Good luck,

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement