Blender Question -- and ... my first post!

Started by
5 comments, last by Antonis Demetrios 22 years, 4 months ago
There comes a time in every game-lover''s life when he wonders if he should quite simply join in and create his own--he could certainly do better, right? Anyway, that time has come for me. Granted, I''m still in high school, sixteen, and maintain only the most minor knowledge of C++ programming; I don''t have a "team"--just a friend (who knows nothing about programming, graphics, or anything for that matter I have yet to read the most popular books about Windows game programming; I have no knowledge of one-eigth of the topics discussed on this site; I do not take art class or music but fully intend to somehow put graphics and sound into my games by myself if need be. AND despite all this, I will succeed! Now, admire my determination and grant me mercy. I come to you today with 3-D modelers in mind. I have had some ... erm ... very limited exposure to 3ds max 4 (I don''t anymore), but I am forced to find more--ah--affordable tools. That''s where you can help me. After I create my inital "Tetris" clone and whatnot, I''d like to make a 2-D overhead type game along the lines of (my personal favorite) Zelda. The project is an ambitious one, and I will more than likely fail, but that time is far off, and so I continue: I don''t want to have to draw every single thing in Paint Shop Pro, which I own--just in case you were getting the impression I am a pirate of some kind--and am interested in modeling characters or buildings in a 3-D application and then somehow (I''m not at that point of wisdom yet) putting them in my game as 2-D images. I have heard good things about this "Milkshape"-thing and that kitchen appliance you all refer to as "Blender." I downloaded the dairy and found myself on somewhat familiar ground, but I didn''t feel like experimenting too much because I''m a lazy guy at times (not good, note). Now, Blender I am trying to find at the official site, but it would appear as though I cannot download it because of the reorganization of the company or something. Finally, my question is this--has (and will) the site been down long, and should I just not worry about it for now, or is there some other source from which I can receive my just reward? If you haven''t noticed, this paragraph is the only necessary one, but how polite would I be if I didn''t introduce myself (which, come to think of it, I did not) and give some background information? Please respond if you have an answer and have stayed awake long enough to read the conclusion to this post, which is this--thanks for your time and nice meeting you all. I''ll think of a signature later...
______________________________I'm a Greek advocating the resurrection of the Byzantine Empire. Join me.
Advertisement
Yes, the site is down.
Yes, it will probly be down for quite a while.
Yes, you should be able to find Blender on a mirror site somewhere, because the licence agreement allows redistribution.

Actually, I just found a site with a version for DL.
Version 2.23

There ya go,
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Hey--thanks alot. I appreciate the link. Now my experimentations can begin!!! Mwahaha!

I''ll think of a signature later...
______________________________I'm a Greek advocating the resurrection of the Byzantine Empire. Join me.
A good user community for Blender can be found at www.elysiun.com.

[edited by - yspotua on April 2, 2002 2:37:44 AM]
Blender doesn''t really have what you could call a "friendly" user interface. I would recommend a book I found at my library, The Blender Book, it was extremely helpful.
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
Thanks for the link to the Blender community and the info about the book. You guys are very helpful.

I''ll think of a signature later...
ooo The Blender Book. I have a copy of that on my desk right now. Also from the library. Very useful book, but it was written for a slightly older version. So you need to search a bit sometimes for the button that gets mentioned.

Overall a very useful reference for the Blender noob though.

Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement