🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What qualifications have you got?

Started by
22 comments, last by Mr_Confused 22 years, 2 months ago
quote: Original post by OrangyTang
Blade Runner

Doh! OT beat me too it! Serves me right to spend a day rebuilding my box at home rather than surfing GD.net!!!

Definitely one of my all time favourite films... and the computer game was fun too... it was the first computer game I managed to get my wife to play!

As to the IAS stuff... yep, would have been a fantastic place to be back then... and yes, maybe even now! I also would have loved to have been at the Santa Fe institute during the late 80s... a very heady time for complex systems research again! Two friends/department buddies of mine now work at Los Alamos and tell me that''s a great place to be anytime!!!

Ah, if I could only convince my wife to relocate THIS year instead of the end of next year 8^(.

Cheers,

Timkin
Advertisement
The *game* Blade Runner? I''ve never heard of that. Who made it?

Stimulate
Westwood Studios - It was released back in 1997.
Yep...

It was one of the first games I had seen that incorporated a dynamic plot line that resulted in millions of possible ways the game would play out... personally I only ever saw 2... the way it finished when I first played it and the way it finished when my wife played it... although I was able to repeat her efforts...

There were some obvious differences in the scene order within the game that made it different, so maybe that counts as well?

What I liked most was that the game responded to how you played it. If you were aggressive to a witness or suspect, that played out in how they reacted and what information you got...conversely, if you were sympathetic and nice you got different information...and mouse controlled weapon targeting in first person mode was really fun and took a bit of practice to get good at!

Overall I really enjoyed the game... if anyone knows any specifics about the AI tools implemented and the design strategy, I would certainly love to hear more about what''s under the hood of BladeRunner.

Cheers,

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement