Advertisement

DirectX or D3D?

Started by April 08, 2002 08:06 PM
8 comments, last by XtremeIdentity 22 years, 5 months ago
Ok, all this talk about whether to learn DirectX or D3D is making me a l i t t l e anxious. 1.What is the difference between DirectX and D3D? 2.Which should I learn first? (I''m getting AndrE Lamoth''s TOTWGPG). -------------------------- ->Take it to the Xtreme!<- --------------------------
--------------------------->Take it to the Xtreme!<---------------------------
Direct3D is used for computer graphics. It is a part of DirectX. DirectX also has other parts for Sound, music, input, etc. So the question is moot.

[EDIT}I dont think I did anything wrong or uncivil, but others seem to disagree...

[edited by - Promit on April 9, 2002 7:15:03 AM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Cut him some slack. It is a beginner''s forum after all.
Hence the extreme effort to remain civil. I didn''t do any wrong or any insulting or anything...
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Hey, what''s your problem Promit ? He didn''t ask OpenGL or D3D, and it''s the beginners forum anyway.

XtremeIdentity:

DirectX is a collection of APIs used to access things like input (DirectInput), sound (DirectSound or DirectAudio), graphics, etc.

D3D (= Direct3D) is a subset of DirectX. It handles the graphics part. In older DirectX versions, 2D and 3D graphics were separated (DirectDraw and Direct3D), now everything is united in Direct3D.

So, you should first learn the principles of DirectX (what libraries for what task, and the COM interface). After that, you can advance to the different subsystems, perhaps starting with something easy, such as DirectInput.

Once you have a grasp of how DirectX works, you can try out Direct3D, since it relies on the same interface than all the other DirectX components.

/ Yann
quote: Original post by Promit
Must...not...beat...newbie...face...in...

ROFLMAO!!!

CEO Plunder Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
Advertisement
Promit is right...

D3D is simply a single component of the total package that is call DirectX. The cool part of DX is that once you have learned how to operate one portion of it, you pretty much have a handle on the basics of the rest of it.

Oh well,
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Come on guys, no fighting...Geez. I''ll be strating DirectX then.

--------------------------
->Take it to the Xtreme!<-
--------------------------
--------------------------->Take it to the Xtreme!<---------------------------
If I was you, XtremeIdentity, I wouldnt bother learning DirectDraw (witch is a "part" of DirectX), because Direct3D realy seems to be the in the spotlight.
... but then, that book realy does cover COM perty good (it eaven has an example of how to make a psudo-component). So yeh...

[ my engine ][ my game ][ my email ]
SPAM
Rate me up.
Why did you edit your post that was the funniest ever! oh well its still in my qoute...

CEO Plunder Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement