🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tutorials available?

Started by
16 comments, last by Indeterminatus 22 years, 2 months ago
Hey everybody out there, I have a question for you: Although I wouldn''t say that I''m absolutely new to music composition, I''d fancy reading a tutorial on how to create a certain mood, which technique is best for what purposes and stuff like that. I know music theory quite well and have been playing violin and piano for nearly 12 years now. Anyone knows a good resource of composition tutorials? Those here in GDnet didn''t help really much, because they weren''t in-depth enough for my needs. Thanks in advance! Yours, Indeterminatus --si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Advertisement
Haven''t reallty looked myself, but www.wholenote.com is usually pretty good for that kinda stuff.
I don''t think music causes moods. People learn to associate different types of music with different moods and then the music triggers the mood, much in the same way as the bell triggers the salivation in Pavlov''s dog experiment. A lot of people find the music I listen to depressing, but I find it uplifting.

So the only real answer is to find music that puts you or your audience in the mood you want, and then look for theory on that kind of music. However, I''m surprised that you have ''12 years of music theory'' and still need tutorials on composition.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions ]

Kylotan:

Well, it''s cool to listen to old nirvana stuff,
when you''re with some friends, I feel good.
But, is this feeling happyness? Hhmm... no...
Hard to explain.

I think, such music like the single slow playing
violin in "schindler''s list" can''t make one feel
happy. This kind of music causes a specific feeling.
Some classical music by Mozart sounds really happy.
When I heard it first time when I was a child,
I felt that it made me happy,
I really didn''t have to learn that it''s "happy music".

I can listen to Bach''s organ works without getting
depressed, yes, but only when I''m already in a good mood.
When I''m, let''s say in a "neutral mood", they sure
can get me really down.

I almost burned to say a lot more here,
but I''m getting more frustrated, because
my english sucks, and I don''t know how to say
what I want :-(

I just hope you know what I mean.
It especially depends if you listen alone,
or with friends,
and, if you pay full attention to the music,
(just listen music, and don''t do anything else),
or if you just let it run in background, and concentrate
on doing different stuff.

However, those who say thrash metal makes agressive,
don''t know anything.
What really makes agressive is HIP HOP !!!
(try it! put me into a room, give me a chainsaw,
turn music on, lock the door.
Don''t expect to see your loudspeakers again, well,
alive! )

Hiphop should go away. Please make it stop.
There is much pointing to the ideas that certain keys reflect, not cause, certain moods.
A is sometimes called the "happy key" but probably not by any real music theorists
Heh...thrash DOES make you aggressive Have you ever been to a Slayer gig? lol
quote: Original post by UnshavenBastard
I think, such music like the single slow playing
violin in "schindler''s list" can''t make one feel
happy. This kind of music causes a specific feeling.
Some classical music by Mozart sounds really happy.
When I heard it first time when I was a child,
I felt that it made me happy,
I really didn''t have to learn that it''s "happy music".

If that was the music that was always played in Tom And Jerry cartoons or something, I bet society would consider it to be ''happy music''.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions ]
Perhaps to some degree, yes. But why did the music that is famous for being used in cartoons evolve in the first place? It certainly wasn''t arbitrary, those first few composers had to ask themselves "What works well with these bright colors(once color came around) and fast movement?" That, coupled with the nature of theater music back then, and it sets the stage for cartoony music.

The keys and chord structures, as we all know, work mathematically, and tonality is defined by ratios describing the interaction of pitch...why shouldn''t this reverberate within our minds? It already works on a conscious level: The smoother and simpler music is, the more soothing we deem it to be, and thus easy listening and new age music tend to be simple on this level. Go figure, what we have deemed to be ''aggressive'' music is convoluted, brash and often fast paced - more signals to process, it kicks the brain into a certain gear. This could very well transcribe over onto the subconscious level.

Researches into music therapy have been consistantly finding that certain types of music chemically evoke certain moods and levels of endorphin release, most prominent is the ability of new age music to soothe, and some classical music to energize.
quote: Original post by AxeSlash
Heh...thrash DOES make you aggressive Have you ever been to a Slayer gig? lol

hehe, no, I haven't.
Are slayer gigs dangerous to visitors?
I don't go to such gigs, it's too loud for me
(even with wadding in ears).
I'm perfectly satisfied with upsetting my neighbors
by listening to their CDs hehehe

quote: (kylotan)
If that was the music that was always played in Tom And Jerry cartoons or something, I bet society would consider it to be 'happy music'.

hey, those two are kind of violent, they
use the wrong music... oh, violence is supposed
to be funny... I forgot....
Let our kids continue watching itchy and scratchy,
it's surely good for their mental development...

[edited by - UnshavenBastard on April 17, 2002 3:57:19 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement