Advertisement

Maya Personal Learning Edition

Started by April 11, 2002 10:52 AM
8 comments, last by stefu 22 years, 4 months ago
Is it woth updating Win98 to Win2000 for Maya PLE? I have Win98 but they say it requires Win2000. Why? If they only had Linux version for Maya PLE.
That depends on how much you want to learn Maya. If it''s worth the $$$ for the Win2k upgrade to you, go right ahead. One word of warning though, PLE puts pretty big watermarks on any images you render.

As far as why it''s NT/2k/XP only, I don''t know specifically, but I suspect that Maya uses something that''s only in the NT based kernel and not in the 9x kernel.

/*=========*/
/* Chem0sh */
/*=========*/
/*=========================================// Chem0sh// Lead Software Engineer & Tech Support// http://www.eFaces.biz=========================================*/
Advertisement
i try maya3 in win98 but i''m unable to install it.

In any case, for a serious work, you MUST use a NT system, 95, 98 and ME is only for home-users.

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
quote: Original post by stefu
Is it woth updating Win98 to Win2000 for Maya PLE?
I have Win98 but they say it requires Win2000. Why?

If they only had Linux version for Maya PLE.

guh, dont bother.
skip right up to XP, 2000/ME is crap
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
black_mage sure doesn''t sound like he knows about OS''s

WinME = Win98 + extras
WinXP = Win2k + extras

So basically you have the case that Windows XP is the newest but also the slowest. If you have a monster system 1.6GHz & 512MB and you can get either Windows XP or 2k you might as well get XP. However if you have a lower PC <1000 and 128MB get Window 2k. Win 2k is fast and very stable (and a bit smaller than XP).

Don''t bother with WinME since it uses the same kernel as win98.

As for PLE, I haven''t used it since I''ve got a copy of Maya 2.5 However I find it runs faster on 2k than XP but that''s just on my computer.

I''m not updating now. I think I''m not allowed to use models in a free game and share it because it says that it''s only allowed to use for learning purpoces etc.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by black_mage_s

guh, dont bother.
skip right up to XP, 2000/ME is crap

what?

xp=98 with good graphics
2000=so-so.
although im a mac guy, if you were to install windows on a machine *shudder* then go with 2k. however you wont be able to render anything well, because there is a HUGE watermark with every 3d model you make. actually, my recommendation for a 3d modeler thats free(err has a free version), and its actually quite good, is gmax - www.discreet.com/products/gmax/gmaxconsumer/

Paper Kills Tree''s

www.abdmurphy.net

[edited by - tamaneko on April 14, 2002 9:24:16 PM]
quote:
xp=98 with good graphics

Actually, XP = 2000 with good graphics.
Press release copy/pasted from Lightwave website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NewTek Announces New LightWave Learning Options For Students
NewTek Uses Free Discovery Edition and $395 Educational To Create The Next Generation Of 3D Artists And Animators

NAB – Las Vegas, NV – April 10, 2002 – NewTek, Inc., the company that revolutionized the world of visual effects and 3D animation, announced today two options for students who want to learn 3D graphics - the LightWave Free Discovery Edition – a no cost version of LightWave with limited saving and watermarked rendering– and a full-featured educational version of LightWave 3D® available to students for $395US, The software is compatible with both Macintosh and Windows-based computers.

Where can I get the LightWave Free Discovery Edition?
This works on Win98?

Thanks
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Actually, XP = 2000 with good graphics.

Actually, no. I have p4 1.5 ghz machines at school with 52 mb of RAM running win XP in the tech lab. when i absolutely need to go in there, and use a wintel machine, xp crashes on me constantly while im running-listen to this-photoshop. 2000 is running in the library, and is much more stable while im doin graphic editing.

Paper Kills Tree''s

www.abdmurphy.net

[edited by - tamaneko on April 16, 2002 1:10:56 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement