Advertisement

Need to get involved, please help

Started by April 12, 2002 11:23 PM
4 comments, last by NickSchafer 22 years, 4 months ago
I am an amateur artist who wants to become involved in game development. I am a very dedicated artist who often does art both on and off the computer, but I need to know what I need to learn, and how I can join a team to start actually doing it. Thanks for any help and advice you can give NS
Wel Nick probably what you want to do is make a small portfolio to show your skills. I''d suggest scanning your better worrks done by hand and posting those with the computer works on a small website. Tell something about yourself there. It won''t take much work and it will give people an idea of your capabilities. Then keep checking back around here and the Help Wanted forum, people re always posting looking for artists, direct them to your web site and wait for replies. Just be careful, even if you''re dedicated there aare many people around here who start projects and fizzle out.
Advertisement
Thanks for the reply, Ill do that.

Also, I have a question specifically about "game art". Its not just like regular art, is it? What specifically should I learn to do to make art for games?

Thanks again,
NS
Game Art is pretty much just an offshoot of art. As to what you should concentrate on, it depends on what kind of game you want to be doing graphics for. A lot of games are going 3D, so you''d probably benefit from learning how to make textures and 3D models. There are still indie games being made with 2D sprites and such also. And don''t give up on drawing things with pen and paper. Even if you plan on doing Computer graphics you won''t always have a computer when you think of something you want to create. B eing able to at least sketch and preserve an idea/concept on paper until you get to your computer woill be invaluable. If there''s one particular style you''re already good at keep working at it and developing it further. In my opinionit''s better to be highly skilled in at least two forms of artwork then be okay in all of them. Serious teaams are going to be looking for people who are very skilled and hire several to fill the needs of the project then to get a group average skilled artists who can only turn out mediocre or sub par work.
i''m working on my first 3D engine. it is a project for honors credit at my university (so it has to be finished).

i''m in need of some low poly models and good texture work for my little engine. if you''re interested, let me know.

the game engine is pretty simple (as it''s my first try). my theme is space shooter. if you have any (or want to make) models of a few ships, some asteroids, planets, etc. i would definitely be able to use them!
hi nick, or if you like, we could make a mini-game together to accumulate experiences

i''d do all the coding for the game and you''d do all the arts stuffs on the game.

pls ICQ me if you''re interested, thanks!
http://www.dualforcesolutions.comProfessional website designs and development, customized business systems, etc.,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement