Advertisement

Best Pascal book?

Started by April 13, 2002 05:30 AM
13 comments, last by Ned 22 years, 5 months ago
Any you guys know of any good Pascal books for beginners? I mean, I the basics of programming, like comilers an'' stuff. I just want to know if there are any good books to learn from. And I want a book that is like the ULTIMATE Pascal book. I thot you guys would know. ------- ~Ned Ryan
-------~Ned Ryan
Do you mean Pascal, or Object Pascal??

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Advertisement
Pascal. I want to learn Pascal so then I can move up to Delphi.

-------
~Ned Ryan
-------~Ned Ryan
You may know this already, but Delphi uses Object Pascal - not plain Pascal.

Although you can learn plain Pascal first, I don't honestly see the point. There are roughly the same arguments about whether to learn C before C++.

IMHO you should go and buy a book about Delphi, or Object Pascal. But be aware that books written about Delphi usually go into more detail about the IDE and the Borland VCL, than the features, and correct use of Object Pascal.

EDIT :: Sorry for the non-answers, I would recommend a book, except that I haven't done much browsing myself, so I would probably recommend the wrong book. Which might be worse than not recommending anything. Hopefully someone else can step in, and provide an answer though.

John B

[edited by - JohnBSmall on April 13, 2002 12:25:16 PM]
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
QUOTE: Sorry for the non-answers
No you''re not.

Anyways, I thought most Delphi books and tutorials require you know a basic knowlege of Pascal. And besides, I said I wanted Pascal. Don''t ask me if want Delphi again.

-------
~Ned Ryan
-------~Ned Ryan
I found this free online book by Marco Cantù, called "Marco Cantù''s
Essential Pascal". I haven''t read it, so I can''t say whether it''s any good, but it sounds relevant:

quote: The first few editions of Mastering Delphi, the best selling Delphi book I''ve written, provided an introduction to the Pascal language in Delphi. Due to space constraints and because many Delphi programmers look for more advanced information, in the latest edition this material was completely omitted. To overcome the absence of this information, I''ve started putting together this online book, titled Essential Pascal.
Advertisement
Thanks!

-------
~Ned Ryan
-------~Ned Ryan
I don''t know of any books, but here are some good online tutorials for plain pascal:
Pascal Tutorial -- Main Page
The QP7 Programming Page: Pascal Tutorial

I have read most of the first one and some of the second one, and both look pretty good. I think the second one covers some graphics as well. Both are plain pascal if im not mistaken. Have fun!

------------------------------
This pisses benjamin bunny off->If someone asks you "A penny for your thoughts" and you put your two cents in, do you get change?

------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.
quote: Original post by Ned
QUOTE: Sorry for the non-answers
No you''re not.

Calm down.

I couldn''t know what you had already found out any more than you could know whether I''m sorry or not.

And there are lots of people who have no idea that Delphi uses Object Pascal.

John B
Ha ha ha. What a laugh! You think that I''m really that dum? Or do you just suspect every newbie is udderly retarded?

-------
~Ned Ryan
-------~Ned Ryan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement