🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tracker SDK's / API's

Started by
16 comments, last by sunriser 22 years, 2 months ago
Does anyone know where I could obtain a good and free SDK / API for using Tracker Modules such as XM or MOD for windows??? I have tried at Modplug for several days now but It seems their domain name doesnt resolve anymore or is their server maintenance in progress with Modplug? Either that, would anyone know a good site where I can obtain adequate information or could provide some sample source in C/C++ for a XM or MOD Player so I can build my own and have it suit for DirectX??? I really need some help on this as I just do not want to use massive .wav files anymore where I know I can use a simple 300k .MOD or .XM file. Thanx in advance for any help [edited by - sunriser on April 14, 2002 1:51:03 PM]
Advertisement
www.un4seen.com for the BASSMOD API, a wonderful middleware solution to playing mod based tracks.
www.wotsit.org if you want to attempt building a player yourself(I just started to write a specialized player, but I keep re-writing even the file loader because I''m trying to OOP the hell out of it.)
Thanx Krikkit for the info but I was also hoping to find a site that could provide me with a starting ground to demonstrate how tracker routines are programmed. Its seems these routines are few and far in between ( So it seems to me anyways ). As Krikkit has already mentioned that he is already writting one and it seems I will be joining him on the mission to write one aswell.

I know these routines are pretty lengthy as remember seeing them on the ol Commodore Amiga''s for Protracker ( Oh what a sight! )but of course that dont scare me.

Even if its a dos routine that will be way sufficient enough. My Interest is for MOD or XM tracker modules. I Prefer the code to be in C/C++.

Thanx again for any feedback that is given
I think some tracker programs come with source for playing their modules, but it''s been a while since I looked at that kinda stuff.

Amiga OctaMED used to come with a pretty sweet player library :-)

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
ModPlug does come with a DLL that you can utilize if you like, but it doesn''t expose a lot of the workings...
I think taking on the challenge of writing fairly from scratch will do me some good.
That is true Krikkit, but unfortunately you cant get to the actual SDK of it anymore.. their links are broken therefore results an incomplete SDK

And I also agree that writing our own is the good approach. Not that its educational but it is your own development aswell

Update:

I have just been to Sourceforge.net and I have found some sample code there

[edited by - sunriser on April 13, 2002 9:06:42 PM]
Hey, thanks for the lead
I think you''re mixing up your terminology... it sounds more like you''re looking for tracker source, rather than an SDK (software development kit) which isn''t likely to exist for something like this. Most of the time, when people ask for an SDK they just mean programming libraries, which is what people have already given you, but which is also of no use as it exists for playing tracked files, not showing you how to do it yourself.

I think your best bet is searching for the file formats of the various file types and seeing how they work. You should be able to work out most of how to play them from that.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions ]
Actually I am looking for either.. SDK ( Maybe I should of used the terminology.. API ) or source. I was maybe hoping that someone has had gone thru the trouble of making one already which would certainly save me a headache.

Modplug actually do have an SDK and was also hoping that other may of followed suit.. but I guess not.

But, I have already committed myself to doing my own now. As you said Kylotan, that the best bet is to find the formats of those particular files which I have done and thanx to Krikkit aswell for those.
Actually, I just ran across this:
http://members.fortunecity.com/grkfn/sounds_.html
Forgive the horrid background, and look for the Mod Player Tutorial abouthalfway down..its geared towards DOS, but it looks like theres plenty to learn from it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement