🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My own Operating System.

Started by
5 comments, last by KreatureCaos 24 years, 4 months ago
I am just wondering how long and how hard it would be to make my own OS. Eat a Beaver, Save a Tree... =0).
Eat a Beaver, Save a Tree... =0).
Advertisement
Unfortunately, it would take years to create even a really simple OS. There is just so much involved. It might be an interesting side project to take up, but I wouldn''t try to beat out Windows or Linux .

--TheGoop
There is a similar thread in "General and Game Programming Discussion.

Here is the link:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=8842&forum_id=11&Topic_Title=operating+system&forum_title=General+and+Game+Programming+Discussion&M=False&S=True
Regards, KinfiraLead ProgrammerKinfiraSoftMakers of Swordplay, a 3D fighting game engine.Check out our home on the web:http://www.kinfirasoft.com
KreatureCaos> Trust me, it''s LOTS harder than it sounds. I started writing an OS about a year ago, and stopped within 2 months. I managed to support most of the basic hardware (my hardware) and wrote my own interrupts, etc. But the problem came when I realized how hard it would be to write an OS to support even a fragment of the specialized hardware out there. But, it was definitely fun.

Ps - You also better know some assembler . If you don''t already, use NASM - it''s free and you can create straight binary code, useful for creating an OS bootloader.
KreatureCaos> Trust me, it''s LOTS harder than it sounds. I started writing an OS about a year ago, and stopped within 2 months. I managed to support most of the basic hardware (my hardware) and wrote my own interrupts, etc. But the problem came when I realized how hard it would be to write an OS to support even a fragment of the specialized hardware out there. But, it was definitely fun.

Ps - You also better know some assembler . If you don''t already, use NASM - it''s free and you can create straight binary code, useful for creating an OS bootloader.
ok that''s out of the question then. Thanks guys/ladies. Btw Clox: it''s Assembly..

No its not... it shoudl be Assembler. Its the name.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement