Advertisement

John Carmack...

Started by April 20, 2002 10:44 AM
28 comments, last by id Nut 22 years, 4 months ago
Like the other person said John Carmack did not become that clever over night. He started at beginning and built up, so back in 85 or whatever whn Commander Keen came out , I bet if you asked Carmack to Q3 he would have no idea, infact I have read an interview where he says this or sumthin.
Also you need to start at bottom & build up. About 4 months ago I made an address book & I thought it was so gd I was so proud of myself it like took me aweek. I look it now & absoulute crap, I am now creating a 3D software rendering engine & have created super mario kart engine & a side scroller + loadsa stuff.
One more thing about Q3 , that probably took about 2 years to make with about 20 professionals all working togther so really how do you expect to even compare to this as a beginner. I use to find all the stuff Carmack said & infact MSDN & other technical stuff really hard to understand but as you learn more & more stuff makes more sense. & the hardest sounding stuff is ually the easiest

Life is a learning expiernce!

hope this helped WizHarD
who is it that keeps on nicking WizHarD name !! :P
Like the other person said John Carmack did not become that clever over night. He started at beginning and built up, so back in 85 or whatever whn Commander Keen came out , I bet if you asked Carmack to Q3 he would have no idea, infact I have read an interview where he says this or sumthin.
Also you need to start at bottom & build up. About 4 months ago I made an address book & I thought it was so gd I was so proud of myself it like took me aweek. I look it now & absoulute crap, I am now creating a 3D software rendering engine & have created super mario kart engine & a side scroller + loadsa stuff.
One more thing about Q3 , that probably took about 2 years to make with about 20 professionals all working togther so really how do you expect to even compare to this as a beginner. I use to find all the stuff Carmack said & infact MSDN & other technical stuff really hard to understand but as you learn more & more stuff makes more sense. & the hardest sounding stuff is ually the easiest

Life is a learning expiernce!

hope this helped WizHarD 15
who is it that keeps on nicking WizHarD name !! :P
Advertisement
I appreciate the help. I''m stupid for thinking the way I do sometimes. Thanks. I thought commander keen came out in the 90s since id was founded in like 1991? Yeah so anyway, later guys.

"I don''''t watch TV.
I don''''t do sports."
-John Romero

The Lord disciplines those who he loves.
--------------------------Tried to save myself but myself keeps slipping away.Nothing's essential.
quote: Original post by id Nut
I appreciate the help. I''m stupid for thinking the way I do sometimes. Thanks. I thought commander keen came out in the 90s since id was founded in like 1991? Yeah so anyway, later guys.

And don''t be so hard on yourself by saying things like "I''m stupid for thinking the way I do sometimes." Everyone doubts themselves at one time or another. I am just starting out in college as a computer science major and it is kicking my arse. There are numerous days when things don''t go as planned or I think that things are really hard and I am not sure if I can do it... that''s normal. The difference is getting back on the horse when you fall off.

Everyone fails... I''m sure you could ask John Carmack about his failures in programming and game development and his list would be endless. What matters is whether you realize that everyone fails and move on or you focus on the failures and lose sight of the fact that even though you failed, by taking the steps to do whatever you failed at, you are already ahead of x-thousand others out there who didn''t even try.

Keep at it and just understand that everyone starts somewhere.

--

I''''m not a freak, I''''m just really shiny.
--------------------------------------I'm not a freak, I'm just really shiny.
If your going to experiment.. back up your current files!

Take comfort in my stupidity. I''m a self-taught person (pretty much like everyone else). I started programming at 16 (when I got my first computer). I still don''t know how to really do anything useful.. and while I''m not struggling (not even close) in college, I never ace the tests (for CS classes), which really makes me think I wasted my time learning on my own (meh). So there, I''ve been at it a while, and I still suck. Feel better?

Carmack does the same thing to me.. I don''t even know where Carmack finds the time to read and experiment. But I guess, I do it because I love it, even if I''m not the greatest.

I'm not the brightest something or other in a group or similar.~ me ~
Does he have a wife/girlfriend?
Advertisement
Yes. Anna Kang is his wife.
I don''t mean to disrepect him, because he obviously has skills, but he does seem very overhyped.

I find it hard to believe there is no-one else who could have wrote Doom, Quake etc. He doesn''t do anything magical that know one else understands.

It would be great if everyone looked up to someone who actually wrote nice, maintainable, readable etc code. I find this really hurts the community as none of you seem to aspire to this because of John Carmack.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
I don't mean to disrepect him, because he obviously has skills, but he does seem very overhyped.

I find it hard to believe there is no-one else who could have wrote Doom, Quake etc. He doesn't do anything magical that know one else understands.

It would be great if everyone looked up to someone who actually wrote nice, maintainable, readable etc code. I find this really hurts the community as none of you seem to aspire to this because of John Carmack.

It's not because no one else could. It's because no one else did . Carmack is heralded as the best because he is the best (at this time). No one writes nice maintainable code, period. Carmack writes the most brutally efficient code I've personally ever see, and that is something to aspire to. It's not as hard to understand as it has a reputation for. You're going against yourself here - you're exactly right that Carmack does nothing "magical," per se, so don't deify him by saying that his code is impossible to understand, etc. He's just really darn good at what he does.

Peace,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

EDITED for typos.

[edited by - zealouselixir on April 21, 2002 3:21:17 PM]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

"Carmack does nothing "magical," per se.."

Except manage to take techniques previously only considered as off-line/non-realtime rendering areas and produce real-time and robust versions. Curved surfaces and shadow volumes being two examples that spring to mind.

Hell, people still havn''t figured out how exactly he''s managed to crowbar together shadow volumes and soft-edged shadows in realtime yet, but he''s clearly done it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement