Advertisement

I have learned more and is it now possible...

Started by April 22, 2002 12:24 AM
10 comments, last by code_fx 22 years, 4 months ago
It have been with gamdev.net for a while now. In comparison to what I know now to what I knew than has came a long way too. Now I can use functions, advanced functions(passing pointers, arrays, and structs) along with normal variables. But I am still practicing my structs/classes, but none the less iteration and decision making. I have made a simple number game. I made a game, well an interactive story that changes dependeing on your responce to a situation. I never finished that one though( first 3 out comes, from that 3 there was 9 and so on...)each individual answer had its own list of possibilites, and soon thta was too many possibilites. I do understand basic concepts fairly well (I never thought I would be saying that) not a pro but I can correct peoples homework and get their assignment up and running before class. with the knowledge I have gained is it possible to make a game with grapics??? making interactive stories are boaring now and seems redundant to write. The thing is I dont know how to incorparate graphics to any of my programs and I think my compiler allows it either. Turbo C++ Borland Builder 4.5... And That windows game programming for beginners has more C programs than C++. can some one point me in the right direction
Fix your text and I might read it. (Use ENTER once in a while when typing).
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Advertisement
C == C++

CEO Plunder Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
I have been with the gamedev.net community for a while now.
And I have learned a lot not including what I have learned from my own studies. I still do feel lost sometimes when I read the forums, But with what I know from my Previous Post is it enough to make a pong or snake like game??
I''m sorry that I am not replying in relation to Graphics but from reading your message, I recognize some of your problem (I was there not too long ago). It seems - if you have been programming text games in C++ - that you have a lot of the Syntax and concepts down for the language, now what I think you might want to do is work more heavily on the Object Oriented aspect of what you are doing. Keep working on those classes and structures.

The example I most point to for this is your text game. Having all the branches and such is a very procedural way of looking at things. What if you had "room" objects and "item" or "creature" objects that were affected by things that the player did. Perhaps those actions would each be functions that affect things different ways. This is how a lot of text games are written and it is a wonderful and fun way to learn (and practice) some Object Oriented thinking.

When it comes to graphics, I am sure with the practice I mentioned earlier and the knowledge it seems you already have you will have no problem. You will need at least some object oriented skills if you want to do graphics for windows (Direct X) though DOS stuff is often written in C and less heavy on the OOP. Pick up a book at your local bookstore or library on Direct X (for windows graphics) or maybe even a general book on game programming. If you have some time on your hands, I''d suggest "Tips and Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre LaMothe. The book has everything you need to make your first few graphical games, but it''s tough reading. Expect to be asking a lot of questions and practicing yourself a LOT before understanding most of it, but it is wonderfully written and entertaining to read.

Most of all PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. The best way to learn code of any sort, I''ve learned, is to screw it up a few times. Figure out (or look up or ask a friend...) what you did wring and fix it. That will be worth a thousand pages in a book or a website. I wish you luck on writing some graphical games. Let me know how it turns out
quote: Original post by MrPessimst
The example I most point to for this is your text game. Having all the branches and such is a very procedural way of looking at things. What if you had "room" objects and "item" or "creature" objects that were affected by things that the player did. Perhaps those actions would each be functions that affect things different ways. This is how a lot of text games are written and it is a wonderful and fun way to learn (and practice) some Object Oriented thinking.

Fist things, first. Thank you for the response. But You mean Use classes for this?? Thats a new way of thinking for me, and is it possible for you to give me an example? It really does not have to be in code...
Advertisement
I recommend starting with OpenGL tutorials on this site. I find OpenGL alot easier to grasp than DirectX (but maybe that's just me!) Anyway, you're already here on gamedev reading this, so just jump right over to NeHe's Tutorials and start with tutorial 1-5, and work your way through. You'll start to pick it up very quickly I think, it's really not *that* intimidating. Good luck.

[edited by - catfoodgood on April 22, 2002 5:21:44 PM]
I make text based games too. And how would I go about doing it with classes? I understand from the example above for each object to have its own class. and in that class to have its own methods...Chair chair
move_chair()
sit_in_chair()
stand_on_chair()
etc...
but if I would encorparate that in the game would I have the cin go directly to the class and change the method of the of that object belonging to that particular class??
Iam I even in the ball park

you dont understand the concepts very well if you cant take the vast amount of window programming tutorials written in C and use them with your c++ compiler. remeber c++ is just c=c+1. (ie c++ is more or less a superset of c and most all c apps compiler when suing a c++ compiler)
quote: Original post by a person
you dont understand the concepts very well if you cant take the vast amount of window programming tutorials written in C and use them with your c++ compiler. remeber c++ is just c=c+1. (ie c++ is more or less a superset of c and most all c apps compiler when suing a c++ compiler)

I think DrPizza and Sabreman would have something to say about that...

CEO Plunder Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement