Advertisement

Major Newb!

Started by April 22, 2002 06:19 AM
6 comments, last by OXYGren 22 years, 4 months ago
Hey People, I have always had an interest in gaming, and im quite curious about a few things, so I am going to ask a few questions, and if they could be answered that would be nice. When Developing a 3D game, will i have to code everything like, each wall or do you use a program like 3d max, to create the 3d and then program it to work, with in it? With C++, after i learn it, will programming it just be a common sence thing, or will i need to learn something else, for game developing with c++. Anyway I think thats all i want to know... oh, is windows XP good for game development?
quote: Original post by OXYGren
When Developing a 3D game, will i have to code everything like, each wall or do you use a program like 3d max, to create the 3d and then program it to work, with in it?

You create the "level" using another program and then you load the level. You don''t need to code each wall.

With C++, after i learn it, will programming it just be a common sence thing, or will i need to learn something else, for game developing with c++.

Depends on your problem. Even though you know the all syntax of your prefered language you still have to think about certain complex tasks for som time before coding them.

Let me give you a REALLY lame example. You know "+" and "*" right ? Well what is the result of this: 45+324+655+234*234+23324*324 ? You know the plus sign and multiply sign. They are very simple but the problem is complex (unless you use a calculator of course).

You have to learn more than "just" C++. You need to learn an API like DirectX or OpenGL.

Anyway I think thats all i want to know... oh, is windows XP good for game development?

Yes it''s very good. Win2K is also good. Don''t use Win95/98/ME unless you have to. They crash easier.

-------------Ban KalvinB !
Advertisement
Thanx for that,

The only thing Im worried about, is my maths. My teacher last year at school said, that i wasn''t good enough at maths, to pass at all in IPT (information processing technology) Anyway, im on her A grade, so hopefully, im smart enough to figure the maths side out,
Tell your teacher to screw off. It takes an extraordinarily BAD teacher to make comments like that. If you apply your self enough, you will learn the math. And even if you can''t memorize it, keep a good bookshelf and look it up when you need.

Man - I can''t believe anybody that says something like that calls themselves a teacher?? What kind of things do they think they are teaching with those comments!

Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
That''s a good point.

A lot of the programming and math I learned was for the most part BECAUSE I wanted to develop games.

Other than that, I probably wouldn''t have been interested enough in learning it.

You can do whatever you set your mind to, as long as you have a plan for it.

You''ll need:
Physics for collision detection.
Trigonmetry, linear and matrix algebra for 3D calculations.
Exposure to algorithms and complex data structures for representing game data and AI.
(To name a few)

Just because you might not be good at those things now doesn''t mean you can''t be.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
i''d like to emphasize physics and linear algebra..
those 2 subjects alone can get you very far.
you''ll need to know alot of trig if you plan on making and
3d games though.
if you learn some basic physics concepts before you start
taking the class, the class itself will become alot more fun..
when i was taking physics i''d learn something in class, then
run home and throw together a little driver app in DirectX
illustrating the formula or concept we learned that day. (makes
for good brownie points too! )

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Advertisement
Actually I dont consider her a bad teacher, she is one of my favourites, I think she was trying to point out to me at the time, that if I was still going like the way i was last year i would be suspended by now..lol.

(I didn''t hand one assignment in, and i would sit there and do nothing)..

So she told me to take computer studies instead so im doing both and im on the A grade still....

Is 3d programming, basically made up out of alot of triangles?
"Triangles" as you put them, otherwise just called "Polygons", are the main building block for all 3d objects. This is because their easy to code with, quick to draw, and you can build any other shape you want by combining triangles.

However there is a lot more to 3d games than polgons. You have to figure out a way to sort/define objects in 3d space, a method of collision detection, keyboard/mouse input, and sound output. And of course a great game has good AI. (The list seems longer than it actually is, don''t let the mechanics of it get ya down
That's just my understanding; I could be wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement