Advertisement

OPENGL or DIRECTX that is the question

Started by April 22, 2002 10:10 PM
15 comments, last by Oluseyi 22 years, 4 months ago
what would be "better" to program in, directx or opengl.. like as in what is most likely used and all that stuff...
Fear the Wolf!
dx is more popular, but OGL is easier and can cross platform

CFO Wretched Penguin Entertainment

Advertisement

You''re new... Read the forum FAQ, STFW, RTFM etc.

From the FAQ:

quote: Q. OK. I read Start Here. I still don"t know which langauge I should learn. What do I do?
A. For starters you DO NOT post questions like this (which has been done to death) and expect to get any kind of advice that is going to sway you one way over the other. Would you go to your local Super Mall and ask on a loud speaker what type of person you should date? Second only to prOn there is no other waste of bandwidth than these types of threads. What ever you do, nothing good can come from ??? vs ??? threads. period.
i have asked myself this question, so i bought a book on directX, my God, so much confusing initilization. then i discovered openGL, so much easier, but not a replacement of directX, i have learned they must be use together, for the greater good, i am doing all my graphics with opengl, and sound/control etc with directX, now thats good stuff, once i understand the math concepts behind 3d with opengl i will go onto D3D that way i wont be learning 3d math in a confusing atmosphere, well i can go on and babble, but basically opengl is faster and simpler, but one is not better than the other, learn both, just remember to learn from opengl what is easier to do in it, and learn from DX what is easier to do in DX, and ull be all set, good luck and happy coding, THE END(some novel eh?)

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-
-= kill one you're a murderer, kill thousands you're a conquerer =-
It''s pretty much the same API with different names for stuff. They both do graphics.

"Better" is objective anyway. Do research and decide for yourself. Don''t start topics that''ll be closed for inciting flame wars :p
Honestly? Learn the one that your friends are using. It''ll be more fun and you can always ask them for help!

If you don''t have any friends, then you should get the hell off the computer and find some first.
Advertisement
Buster I live in a ridiculessly small town where there isn''t a SINGLE programmer, in fact I haven''t met one in real life. I''m learning C++ as my first language with only the help of forums and chats.
Fear the Wolf!
quote: Original post by Pik
"Better" is objective anyway.

Actually, it''s subjective. I wouldn''t complain except you said the exact opposite of what you meant.

Peace,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

well, I like DirectX, I learned on DirectX and I think it is alot eaiser then OpenGL... but I am a fast learner, and most everyone else around here uses OpenGL
quote: i bought a book on directX, my God, so much confusing initilization. then i discovered openGL, so much easier

You were probably reading a book dealing with an "old" version of DirectX. They have since cut most of that out. I am NOT an experianced programmer but I have coded a few demos in Direct3D 8 and as APIs go it really is pretty easy to use. There''s not much initialization at all. Only 2 calls in fact.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement