Advertisement

C++ programmer to be

Started by April 23, 2002 02:38 PM
5 comments, last by Dementer 22 years, 4 months ago
well, i''ve finally found where my job to be is, game development. i have windows XP pro(ugh) and Microsoft(evil) Visual Studio.NET. is that a good combination or am i right in thinking microsoft is pure evil? does anybody have any friendly words as i venture into the unknown?(for me)
Get it out of your head that microsoft being evil has anything to do with programming windows shit. Although i cant say the same thing about hungarian notation. That really IS evil.
Advertisement
Anti-Microsoft zealotry aside, those two are an excellent combination for game development (and development in general).
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
You seem to have jumped onto the "Microsoft is evil but I can''t explain why" bandwagon. Please try and avoid complaining about technology (or anything) without having reasons *of your own*, else you run the danger of becoming a bigot.

[C++ FAQ Lite | ACCU | Boost | Stroustrup on Learning C++]
joking aside, i''m not actually that bothered about microsoft, but they can annoy me.

i only have two people working with me, is this a bad thing because we''re all at about the same level of skill.
na its cool you have a few people to work with. It''s kinda like a school project. Just go slow and dont learn eachother''s bad habbits and watch out for them learning bad habbits from somewhere else. Wish i had a few people to code with... *sigh*
Advertisement

I personally decided when I started programming that I wanted to learn to do it in Linux. Let me tell you that it was a mistake! If you want to learn to write code, and you've been using Windows primarily, learn to program on Windows.

If you want to learn a new Operating System do it seperately. At this point all the other operating systems are based on UNIX, UNIX is great, but it takes time to learn. I spent 2 months trying to get comfortable with my new environment before I ever even started to code in it. In the end I went back to windows, because I really like working in MSVC++.

It's up to you, but if you want to be a programmer, and not a System Administrator, stick with what you know. You can always learn the new OS later when you are good at what you set out to do in the first place.

Just wanted to add, I am a recovering MS basher myself, but the more I have learned about programming the more I realize that most of my problems were either my fault, or the programmer who wrote my programs, not the OS. Don't flame me this is just my opinion.

[edited by - catfoodgood on April 23, 2002 4:36:14 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement