🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sounding like an Alien (Zerg to be exact)

Started by
6 comments, last by SA-Magic 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi. I''m having trouble editing (SoundForge and Cool Edit 2000), editing some samples to sound like Zerg. Well, my current ones sound good, but I want to make another set more distinct. Even then, none of them are like Blizzard''s quality. I can''t make them sound much different from my other ones, normally made through use of the underwater flange. Any tips?
Advertisement
use other filters or even mix different sound together. the godzilla roar sound was actually a few normal animals played back at different rates and combined.
I remember hearing that the T-Rex''s roar in Jurassic Park was generated by mixing birdtweeting and a lion''s roar and then they just played around with the frequencies.
Yeah, I''m only going to be using SoundForge and CE though! ^_^
With about 5 minutes of trial and error, I was able to reasonably approximate a zerg voice..listen to this:
www.students.uiuc.edu/~jbohnert/empzerg.wav
I started out with a light flange to start it sounding choppy, then put a loose chorus of 7 voices,then dropped pitch, then a simple echo. Then I gated it to barely the level where I could hear each word, then re-echoed it, and added a very light flange to recover some of what I lost, and a little more pitch drop.
The fact that it is a star wars clip, because it was the first vocal sample I came across, makes it a little thick, because there is background noise I couldnt get out.

Somewhere along those lines, a pretty good zerg imitation lies...
This one, of course, was quick and dirty, but it sounds liek its going in teh right direction. Keep with it, you'll find it.
Basic Ideas i got from listenign to Starcraft's sampleS: Lowered pitch, hard echo, and lotta choppy flange/chorus.

[edited by - krikkit on April 29, 2002 5:23:27 PM]
I found an easy way for what I was looking for. Cool Edit-
Stretch Pitch-
140 pitch
slow down
speed up

Worked a treat. ^_^
1: Record yourself hissing in the microphone :D
2: Add vibrato 100hz
3: Voila! Zergling (or perhaps Drone)

http://liquid2k.com/ganryu/Sounds.zippo (it's only 1mb)

Rename the file to Sounds.zip and check out the file Worker_Confirm1.wav and upwards.

Yeah... I know that Worker_Confirm3.wav is a little bad. I breathed right into the mic by accident.

[edited by - Ganryu on May 7, 2002 4:12:01 AM]
oooh, thanks for that. *Makes note*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement