Advertisement

Game Programming Gurus 2nd Edition

Started by April 25, 2002 08:47 PM
4 comments, last by platypusman 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I was just if anyone knows what the second edition of Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus covers. Is it more of a revision of the first book or an entirely new book with new material. That is, if it is a new book is the old one still worth reading? Basically I haven''t read the first edition yet and was wondering if I should buy the first edition or wait until the next installment comes out. Thanks. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don''''t let anyone tell you any different! - Kurt Vonnegut
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don''t let anyone tell you any different! - Kurt Vonnegut
It''s a Part 2 not 2nd Edition. It covers 3D programming and hard math. You don''t HAVE to read the 1st part but it''s a good idea.

----------
Take it to the Xtreme!
----------
Wachar's Eternity <-<-<-<-<- Me own site!
Advertisement
Are you talking about the second edition of the old book that''s coming out or are you talking about the new 3d book that''s coming out?

------------------------------
BASIC programmers don''t die, they just GOSUB and don''t return.
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.
Yeah there is "Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus" and then there is "Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus" coming out in June.

I hadn't heard there was going to be a 2nd edition of the first one. Will have to look out for that as well.

[edited by - Xanth on April 25, 2002 10:52:43 PM]
"I thought Genius lived in bottles..." - Patrick Star
The original book had 2D/3D on the cover IIRC, yet very little if any 3D was covered in it. In the book somewhere it made references to Volume 2 that would cover 3D. I don''t think the book ever materialized though. LaMonthe was the editor to some books that have been published about 3D graphics after that.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Let me clarify what''s going on with the books. I talked to Andre last month at the GDC, so this is accurate, current information.

Currently, he''s personally working on two books, one of which is the 2nd edition of Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. In other words, same book, just updated. He''s also working on the second volume of the same book, i.e. one that picks up where the first book left off.

He said that both are fairly close to completion, but didn''t give an exact date, or even an estimate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement