Advertisement

What to do, which way to go...

Started by April 27, 2002 03:46 AM
-1 comments, last by d1abolic 22 years, 4 months ago
Making video games has always been my dream. I remember playing games on my Atari as a kid and thinking how cool it would be if i could be a part of their creation. At the time i was living in Russia, so outdated consoles were all i ever used until i moved to Canada in 96 and bought my first PC. I started off pretty good - went to high school and started studying hard. But then got into drugs. Nothing serious mind you, but more than enough to distract me from accomplishing my goals. A year ago i realised that i''m not getting anything done at school because most of my time there is spent smoking weed with friends. So i decided to take a break and got a full-time job. Since then, i''ve been working most of the time, saving up money and trying to stay clean. Now that my head is clear once again, my dream is beginning to take shape. For the first time in my life i''m seriously considering dedicating my life to making games. I want to do art, which was kind of a natural way to go for me since both of my parents and my aunt are artists. But now i''m faced with the big decision: 2D or 3D? I''ve been using Photoshop on and off since version 4.0 came out - so i have experience with the earlier. The latter however, is still new to me. I just started experimenting with 3dsmax, and i know that it will be months, if not years, until i can feel comfortable using it. So even though 2D seems like the easier way to go right now, i decided to come here and seek advice before making any decisions. What do you suggest? Do 2D artists have an easier time landing jobs than 3D artists? How do you think this this will change, say, 5 years down the road? Do 2D artists need more education? Do they need to be able to draw as well with a pencil as they can with a mouse? Do you recommend getting a formal education? As you see, i have plenty of questions, so basically any kind of information and advice would be very welcome right now. Thanks for reading.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement