🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pong

Started by
7 comments, last by Paladin 24 years, 3 months ago
Hmz, I was just wondering about game called PONG I have all the main code ready for a clone, and I would like to hear some really weird / cool ideas for addon. I''m allready planning to create fun and "stupid" plot for quest (!) mode, and tournament mode is allmost ready. So if you have any nice ideas, just let me know. The game will go for freeware, with sources, and it runs in 800x600 16bit. Right now it''s "only" 2D, and I don''t have any reason to change it 3D.

Advertisement
Sorry I can''t come up with any 2D PONG variants, but when you mentioned a tournament mode, I just had to say this:
Dodgeball Tournament. It would be kinda like Q3 or UT, except the arenas would be a lot smaller, and there''d only be one high velocity dodgeball-of-death to smash around with a paddle/shield. Then again, it might translate to 2D pretty well.
I''ve actually been working on a pong style game with OpenGL and have made it to where the level rotates randomly so the paddles are actually moving around in a big circle to try and throw the player off.
Hmm... I don''t understand Dodge Ball idea. Do you mean that player is trying to miss the ball ? I''m creating a PONG-CLONE, not variant

Hmmmm,

What about if the paddle moves around in a half-pipe instead of in a straight line, that would be pretty wierd.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
But the game is on 2D, and half-pipe effect wont show up in 2D... If I understood your idea right.

Add a team mode!

Make the game 4 player, it will be 2 on 2!
Have one of the player of the teame be behind the other!
Maybe I''m thinking of a different game. I''m 17 so I never played those really old games.

Doesn''t each player have a paddle, and you have to known a little ball around. Is this what you mean or am I totally wrong.

My idea was that the paddle would be facing down when it''s at the top of the screen, and facing up when it''s at the bottom of the screen.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
You could implement something like in the movie Tron (if you haven''t seen it, you should the lead actor is a gamedeveloper ). If you don''t know what I''m talking about, I''ll elaborate...

GEo, lock yourself up and go play those oldies. Being 17 is no reason to not have played the oldies, I mean most of the people under 17 here at least know what Pong is!

----------
Drago
osu!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement