🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Check this out

Started by
9 comments, last by Jonny Go 24 years, 3 months ago
Ok, Ive been busting my ass the past month or so trying to learn C++ and so far ive loved it. My parents are actually pleased with me so they are encouraging me to go to college and learn this stuff, which I think would be awesome. So they were talking to their computer expert who comes to their office and he said that C++ is old, and nobody uses it anymore. I said that is b.s. He also said that if I wanted to program games, I should learn Visual Basic. I want everyone who knows about Visual Basic and C++ to tell me what they think of this! Its quite discouraging to hear this after spending $100 on a Borland C++ compiler, and about $130 on C++ books. Lets get some opinions Its all fun and games till someone gets pregnant.
Its all fun and games till someone gets pregnant.
Advertisement
Hmmm..... my BS meter just just went bonkers.... I agree with you, entirely.... VB CAN be used to program games; however, C++ is preferred, at least in my experience. Also C++ certainly isn''t dead. Its a valuable language because of how much its currently used today, and the more powerful language constructs it has. Anyway, once you learn how to program, you can pick up other languages pretty easily so don''t worry about this nutcase that your parents found. You can learn using either language, but I would continue with C++ because you have already begun and loved it.

Torval
Their computer "expert" knows nothing. You can do a lot with VB 5.0 and up, but C/C++ is most certainly not dead.

Visual Basic can be used by stupid people that know nothing if they are making stupid, know nothing programs. This often impresses other know nothing people. VB is great for simple GUI apps. In my opinion C doesn''t compare if that is the type of work you are doing. Visual Basic can also be used to make some very advanced, complex programs. It all depends on who is using it and what they are trying to do.

This guy is probably too dumb or lazy to learn C, and prefers writing programs barely one step above "Hello World". He may also be a complete moron that has no clue what he is talking about.

C will teach you things about programming and computers in general that VB will probably never teach you properly. Learning C is a GREAT beginning to learning virtually any language out there, and understanding how the higher level languages work.

I have to agree with everyone else... My personal feeling on VB is that it is wonderful for rapid development of programs, but C++ is a lot more powerful. Sure you can use VB to do a lot too, but at its heart is the language BASIC, and it was originally designed as just that, BASIC. I have a friend that is taking a low level college course on VB, and she wrote a program in VB that calculates her grade. She now thinks that programming is easy, VB is great to get started with, but C/C++ is great for learning the fundamentals.
C++ is definitely not dead. i tried VB once. it was like trying to get a cat to roll over and play dead (then again i had version 1, or a really really old one at that).

- Moe -

it is all fun and games
until someone loses an eye.
then its a sport
hey Johnny go, where in alberta are u from? im from vermilion (200kms east of edmonton)
Your "computer expert" is probably a database programmer who only knows Visual Basic. That''s what VB is good for (there are better alternatives... *cough* PowerBuilder *cough*).

While VB is widely used, it is not used for games. Very few games have been created in VB, and there IS a reason for that. I prefer not to start any kind of flame war, but C/C++ is a far superior language for creating games.

As for C++ being dead, check out www.monster.com and search for C++ jobs... you''ll see there are plenty of companies using C++. In most cases, the C++ programmer gets paid more than the VB programmer too

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
One of my Lecturers in college also reckons C++ is dead and is being replaced by JAVA. You do tend to see a lot of Java games on the net, but most of them aren''t very impressive. C++ is still used tonnes for programming, especially games.

VB is crap, I''m supposed to be learning it for college, and I HATE it. Fortunately, this course will end in a few months, which probably means I ought to be catching up on some work rather than sitting around here.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Hi there

Well I am a VB programmer and I have done game programming in VB.

I am however learning C++ game programming, as I feel that it is more structured and flexible. Also I have a game programming book in C++, so I thought, I''d better learn C++ then.

I disagree with Josh. VB can most definately be used to program games with, and there are some could 3d engines out for it. Microsoft has also started with a DLL specifically for VB and DirectX so don''t be mislead.

However: If you are starting out with programming, take C++
You will definately learn good techniques and program flow.

My say is, if you can program in C/C++ you can program in anything.

Take my advice, learn C++ -- you can always learn other languages later.
Ummm... If you want to be a /professional/ games programmer in the long run, I *strongly* suggest you stick with C++ over Visual Basic. VB has its strong points, but it lacks the efficiency & portability required for modern game development.

A good programmer isn''t restricted to one language though - you use the tools necessary to get the specific job done. Also, picking up additional programming languages after your first gets a *lot* easier - this is something you''ll quickly realise if you go to college

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement