Advertisement

Run at startup ?

Started by May 09, 2002 01:18 PM
2 comments, last by robertocarlos 22 years, 4 months ago
If I have an application, something.exe and I want to run it at startup (no scheduled tasks) which file do I manipulate in windows98 ?(like some installers do) Thanks. The sky is the limit !
The sky is the limit !
The easiest way to do it is by putting a shortcut to you exe in the Startup folder under the Start menu. If you dont like that one, you can create a registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run(all users) or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run(for the current user). Use regedit to look at the keys already there to see how it is done.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Advertisement
In the registry, there is a key named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run which has several entries in it.

Add your program there. Lookup the registry manipulation functions in the doc

[Questions (STFW) | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search | Forum FAQ | Google | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Docs (RTFM) | MSDN | SGI''s STL | OpenGL | File formats]
[C++ Must Haves (RTFS) | MinGW | Boost | Loki | FLTK | SDL ]

Stolen from Magmai Kai Holmlor, who held it from Oluseyi, who was inspired by Kylotan...
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Thanks! Thats all I wanted.
The sky is the limit !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement