🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How good/advanced can Java do games?

Started by
7 comments, last by -=Code=- 24 years, 3 months ago
What kind of games can Java do at the moment? Is it possible to program something like Quake with Java? Or is it just capable of doing Tetris, Pacman etc.? How about in the future? What will Java be able to do in the future based on how things are developing now? Give your opinions and reasons.
Advertisement
I tried doing a game in Java but found it terrible for storing any type of data permanantly and it is not so widely supported or stable I don''t think. Of course, I could just be retarded at java so you never know, but I have never seen a java game that has saved any form of character data or any other kind of data past the end of a game session.
Java stores data just like any other language does. It even has special features to facilitate database functionality.

Java is a stable language. It is not currently mainstream like C is, but it is constantly growing in popularity. Personally, I would not use it for a game for that reason. There are tons of examples, source code, and tools for C/C++ right now. It is a fine language though, and with enough work, you could do anything you wanted to with it.

you can do whatever game/app you want with JAVA.
It''s even very interesting in a crossplatform strategy, but C/C++ is faster.
It''s interesting to use C++ as you are using JAVA, in that way your C++ prog will be easier to maintain and use.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
The question is, is any of the big game dev API''s available for Java, like OpenGL and DirectX? Without that (or a really good substitute) it''s pretty screwed as a game dev language.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
DirectX is not crosss-platform, never has been, never will. However, writing a wrapper for Java would be fairly easy.

OpenGL is somewhat specific sinc it is a cross-platform standard which is implemented differently on each platform. Minor differences, most of the times, though. You cannot directly access it but Java3D can.

Let''s summarize : what do you need DirectX and other APIs for ?

• Network code ? Built-in Java.
  • 2D graphics ? Java2D
  • 3D graphics ? Java3D
  • Sound processing ? JavaSound/Java Media Framework
  • Movies ? Java Media Framework
  • Keyboard handling ? Built-in Java
  • Joysticks and other peripherals ? Uh... Good luck.

In my opinion, the only real problem is speed. And HotSpot really accelerates your programs.

Be reading you,
David

P.S. :
Not only Java can write files but it also has built-in support for serialization, user-defined properties and databases.
Well, there you go. I thought Java was better for web development and some other...uh...odd areas of programming, I dunno, I know so little about it.

If the speed is a problem, then Java isn''t really suitable for game development, because speed is one of the major issues in game dev. But maybe Java has capabilities to be as fast as anything else, as long as there''s some people working on it, optimizing code and writing API''s.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Java isn''t ''slow'', it''s just slower than compiled code.
You know VB ? Java isn''t slower.
I''ve seen a DirectX for JAVA on M$ web site, so it must be possible to use DirectX.

Depending on the type of games you want to make, you may choose java or not.
If you want to make a Quake3 killer, of course you won''t use Java.
But for most 2D games (Starcraft...), and well designed not the best 3d game, you could probably use java.
I''m planning to make a 3D RPG with Java and OpenGL.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
The best thing about Java is you don''t have to buy it
Does anyone listen to Destiny''s Child, TLC, or Sammie?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement