🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Industry...creating a monster?

Started by
-1 comments, last by HAK 24 years, 3 months ago
I, like many others, am heading for a career in gamedev...and no, I don''t just think it would be cool, I''m studying it, and I''m DOING it. Now, think on this...what exactly are we heading for? I''m still going for it, but it''s a bit worrying to read about industry leaders who work 22 hours a day and like the fact they lost their wives to creating Earthworm Jim...or is it just the magazine journos? Are they dressing us all up as something we''re not? Getting past the glitz is hard. At a recent SONY sponsorship event I was struck by the attitude of some of the coordinators. Trying to dress up irregular working hours, no sleep, bad diet and fast lifestyle is no favour to any of us...should we listen to it? I for one want to keep my feet on the ground...I enjoy the creativity the work gives me, and I DO work hard...but if this is really what it takes...is it worth it? Or am I just seeing what the media seem to like...is it not like this at all? What do you all think?
Hak''d!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement