Advertisement

RPG Maker? is it ok to use?

Started by May 21, 2002 10:13 PM
3 comments, last by mdhtter256 22 years, 3 months ago
First, a lil info ''bout me. I''m fresh out of Highschool and I''m going to college to major in Computer Science. I don''t have any knowledge in programming but this I''m learning C++ with "C++ for Dummies" and with "Game Programming All in One". Also, right now I''m making a game using RPG Maker for the PSX. I was wondering, will any game that I have made with RPG Maker look good (or is it acceptable) on my resume with along side some other game(s) that I''ll be making with the programming skills I''ll acquire thru college? Should I just stop and learn how to programming games from scratch or is it ok to continue with the RPG Maker? Thanks in advance..... Home of the the RPG Maker game "Orokoi" http://www.geocities.com/mdhtter256/Home.html
Home of the the RPG Maker game "Orokoi"http://www.geocities.com/mdhtter256/Home.html
Personally I think an RPG Maker game on your resume would work against you. Looks very (for lack of a better word) "newbie-ish". Not what you want a possible employer to think of you.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Advertisement
I wouldn''t say that. If you are going for a game designer job, having a complete design document and fully laid out game (from RPG Maker) might help, at least to get an intern job if that''s what you want.

Jim Adams
I agree with Jim--using RPG Maker is a great opportunity to fully implement a game design. It takes away a lot of the necessary programming and lets you put together your RPG ideas quickly.

Granted, it has some limitations on what it can do, and if you really want it to do cool stuff you''ll need to know some programming algorithms, but it''s a great tool to throw together some ideas quickly to see how they will work.

On the other hand, if you want to show off your programming prowess, DO NOT use RPG Maker.
I am always open to feedback, positive or negative...
Hey,

I would say if you complete the game, it looks decent, and comes with a complete design doc showing how everything was planned out before it was executed, it would look good. But, seeing how it was done with a tool such as RPG Maker, I wouldn't put a lot of stress on there. Just throw it in with a lot of other stuff. Don't try to make it a big point that you made something with RPG
Maker and you should be fine.

"With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - TOOL [TheBlackJester ]

[edited by - TheBlackJester on May 22, 2002 10:12:20 AM]

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement