Advertisement

singleMesh Characters with exchangable bodyparts/clothes

Started by May 23, 2002 06:06 PM
6 comments, last by Domm 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi, i was wondering how games like Dungeon Siege make 3d characters where one can change so many bodyparts and clothes. I know that one can use textures for some cases, but what about exchanging bodyparts ... exchangeing meshparts ?? One can use non-connected bodyparts, but one does not get as good smoothing (smoothing groups/normal interpolation) as when using a single mesh. Does they have engines which add an extra element - connecting 2 bodyparts witch a ''skin join''? Or do they connect and deconnect the parts at runtime? Well this question could also have been posted on the engine forum, but it does also includes, how the character is setup in the 3d modelling/animation package. Like: are all parts linked to the coresponding bone and all but one is hidden at run-time? etc. many questions ... Anyone knows how this was/is done?
Well, DungeonSiege doesn''t really exchange parts, only the helmet and shield/weapon.

When the armor changes, a whole new model is loaded with the specific changes in geometry. The rest is all skinwork.
The different parts of the body are UVWmapped separately, so when you put new boots or gaunlets on you only have to change the hand/feet skin.

You usually have some tris inside the model as orientation to attach the parts, like for the guns in FPS models. Dunno much more, never had to care about it myself.
http://www.strangefate.com
Advertisement
Hi Strangefate,

thanks for the (insider?) info. Very interesting!

This makes nevertheless quite an amount of models ... not?
2 states for gauntlets, 2 states for bots, 5 states or something for clothes or armour ... 2*2*5 = 20 models for variing one character ...
... but maybe this is less complicated/time consuming than building a single mesh from bodyparts at runtime, like i mentiond above.
<-- doubble post: msg deleted --->

[edited by - Domm on May 24, 2002 10:50:14 AM]
hmm well, it''s all relative, you need a lot of version of 1 model, but since they''re all derivates it just takes some changes on the original, other games have all new models.

The problem with adding armors and such is that you get a lot of extra polys that remain hidden under the added parts but are still rendered and take up performance, plus you might get clipping with the added pieces when the body/arms move around and added armor doesn''t bend like the body.
Intersecting objects can look pretty ugly too.
http://www.strangefate.com
use md3

Advertisement
@fantasy Edge:
Well the engine does not support md3 - but u mean the concept of it? I''ve to look into that.

@StrangeFate
Beware! I never thought of using additional polys in order to wrap armour etc around!!! I am aware of clipping, overdrawing, skinning etc.
The engine i am using has the feature of ''skin join'' but it does not work very well .... moreover it seems to suck!
In addition to that I would have been sticked to clear borders ...und could have trouble with joins, shoulders etc.
Therefore I think I gonna stay with the concept of Dungeon Siege u mentionend. Modelling a base character and derivating all the clothing charcters etc of it.

Thanks for all your inputs.
cya.
I''m working on making a model format of my own that would do something similar to this, except it would actually exchange the parts out on the model. I''m also trying to keep the model perfectly welded between interchangable parts and bone animated....I''ll probably spend a few months trying to get it working then give up when i don''t come anywhere close, so wish me luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement