🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Windows with directX?

Started by
1 comment, last by ettamme 24 years, 3 months ago
Hey guys im really really new to direct x and game programming and i was wondering. Do you have to make a windows program for directX to work, or is there some other way? I ask this because im reading tricks of the windows programming gurus and the first 1/3 of the book is about making a window and event handler then you start getting involved with directX in the window game loop. I just wanted to know if all this windows stuff is necessarry if you just want to make a full screen game?
"there is beer coming from the chimney, code 3, I am proceeding on foot,i repeat bring pretzles."
Advertisement
DirectX only works with Windows.

If you''re going to make a Windows game, you will definitely need to know how to set up a window, the event handler and so on. A full screen game is just a window without borders, menus and other fancy stuff

If you don''t want to use Windows, you _can_ always make a DOS game... But then, the book Tricks of the WINDOWS Game Programming Gurus won''t help that much

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
You do need to know Windows, but to tell you the truth, not TOO much. I have that book too (and Windows Game Programming for Dummies) and I have to say that the first big section on the Win32 API is a bit lengthy -- a lot of it you don''t really need to worry about too much. However, I would still read it just so you don''t skip over something you should have read.

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement