🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What kind of math does most AI use?

Started by
15 comments, last by green_guy 22 years, 1 month ago
Most branches of Mathematics taught at the undergraduate level relate on some level to AI. The only thing a Math class can hurt is your GPA, and possibly self-confidence, but give''m all a try.
Advertisement
I also used a lot of plain ole geometry in the base-planning code for Empire Earth.

It''s funny how these things come back to haunt you when you least expect it. I remember needing a lot of trig and calculus when we were first designing the aircraft takeoff and landing code.

Bob
Bob ScottAI Designer/ProgrammerStainless Steel Studios
Hehehe... and I bet you were once sitting in trig class back in High School thinking "sheesh, I''m NEVER going to need THIS crap"!!!

Timkin
Yep, that would have been me Blast, then I had to go relearn in all (or at least refresg my memory) when I had to deal with angles and such in one of my tracking programs. Oyez

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming April/May 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

Unnoficial IGDA chat! [polaris.starchat.net -> #igda]
NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Ryan, I just want to give you a hug man. Your havin a rotten day.
quote: Original post by green_guy
What kind of math do most AI programs use? Do I have to be a calculus expert to "do" decent Artificial Intelligence programming? What about what is in the books? What kind of mathematics is it? Thanks.

As others have said you really don''t need much. The most math I''ve ever used doing AI was in some code to have the AI compute ballistics trajectories, and that was only because it was easier for me to do it than to get the collision engine guy to do it instead. I took all kinds of calculus up through Differential Equations (good ''ol "DiffyQ") and haven''t really used it for anything AI related.

Now collision engines...that''s another story!

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com
From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

quote: Original post by Ferretman
I took all kinds of calculus up through Differential Equations (good ''ol "DiffyQ") and haven''t really used it for anything AI related.

Some might say that is because you haven''t been doing AI!

Certainly, Game AI currently requires little math. AI more generally requires quite a lot of math... the more the better. In fact, if there were more mathematicians getting into AI, things would progress a lot faster in the field!

Cheers,

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement