🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about custom building a pc and Athlons

Started by
9 comments, last by Densun 24 years, 3 months ago
I''m planning on putting together my own computer, but I''d like to know how much this would cost me compared to buying one that is similar. Here''s a list of what I would get: newest Pentium or Athlon at least 64 MB RAM at least 8 GB HDD a GeForce256 video card SoundBlaster Live sound card normal keyboard and mouse an ASUS or ABIT motherboard a good DVD-ROM good tower case 17+ inch monitor 56K modem, if I don''t have a better connection then I think that''s all. My other question is about compatibility with Athlons and programs. Does anyone know about any software that won''t run on an Athlon, but will on a Pentium? --- "Lisa! In this house we obey the laws of thermo dynamics!" -Homer
Advertisement
if i were you i'd get at least 128mb ram and at least a 15 gig hd. and i couldn't stand looking at anything but a 21" monitor either.. but that's just me, maybe you won't need that stuff.
as far as compatability.. the athlon is fine and i've heard nothing wrong with it. well i did hear that geforce256 wouldn't work on athlon but i think they fixed that with the newer drivers.

Edited by - shmaLbus on 3/12/00 5:08:28 PM
-werdup-
I''m using an athlon right now, it works great.

"When people tell you to tell the truth, you know that their lying."
Chances are that building that kind of machine will be more expensive than purchasing one already assembled. *However*, if this is your first try building a computer, the learning experience is priceless.

Good luck!
Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
If you want the latest processor, it definately isn''t worth it to build your own computer. OEMs typically get the processors for much less per unit and get volume discounts that you can''t get. If you want to step back a little from the cutting edge and get an older processor, it becomes about even with what you''d pay an OEM for it.

Memory costs I''ve found to be inflated from OEMs, so you can probably at least break even on that. But do yourself a favor and get at least 128MB. I would recommend 256MB. I personally have 384MB, and I bought this computer 2 years ago.

Make sure you buy a *good* power supply/case. Athlons, especially with GeForce card, like to be fed a lot of current.

I haven''t heard of any software thats failed to run on an Athlon (except obviously don''t expect anything KNI only to work properly.)
I just built a machine with an Athlon 700 in it for about $1100. I skimped a bit on the video card and the sound card (just a tnt and a 30$ sound card), and only got a cd drive, and already had a monitor, but I doubled the amount of ram and hard drive space and bought a NIC instead of a modem (though you can find internal modems for the same price). My guess is that you could probably build what you want for between $1400 and $1600.

The best thing about building your own machine is that you know exactly what''s in it, and you know you can upgrade everything. You can''t do that with pre-manufactured machines from the big boys (dell, compaq ect...)

BTW, UT looks real smooth

Mark Fassett
Laughing Dragon Entertainment
http://www.laughing-dragon.com

Mark Fassett

Laughing Dragon Games

http://www.laughing-dragon.com

If you''re going for the newest Intel or AMD processor you should DEFINATELY go Intel. The new Intel 1ghz running at .18 micron is just amazing. Yes, many AMD fans will tell you that AMD supports the 200mhz FSB while Intel is still 133mhz FSB. BUT, they won''t tell you that the new Intel 820i chipset has the bottlenecks worked out for faster AGP pipeline and also that it supports the new RDRAM with RIMM sockets. Basically you can use 66mhz, 100mhz, 133mhz SDRAM, or you can use the 800mhz RDRAM. If you are going to go with a 1ghz processor Intel completely obliterates AMD by smoking at almost twice as fast in RAMBUS access and graphics.
IMO, if you go RDRAM, you''re completely out of your mind or have way too much money to burn. As of last week, RDRAM was going for $800 US per 128MB chip. That''s near a factor of 10 over SDRAM.
Although I am an AMD fan, Saruman is absolutely right about the newest Intel chips. Only problem is that the Intel chips are too expensive and are difficult to get right now (demand is way too high for them). AMD on the other hand, is pushing 1gig athlons out like Chris F pushing happy meals out at McD''s...

There are alot of good reasons for building your own system on here and I agree with all of them.

If you want one of the newer AMD chips, I would go with a 650 or a 700. Right now they are the best deal for what you are getting. There is a pretty good price jump when you get higher than the 700. This can change at anytime though.

RAM is cheap right now. Get atleast 128 megs...

Hard Drives go up about $10 - $15 per ''level'' until about 18gig or so. Getting a much larger hard drive would not cost you much more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement