Advertisement

Help choose a good 3D-program, please!

Started by June 03, 2002 10:35 AM
9 comments, last by dennisV 22 years, 3 months ago
Hello to all professional users of 3D modelers! :-) To be quick - I''m choosing a 3D-program right now to create images for my games and I''m not really limited by the budget too much (well, 10 grand would exceed it, but still...). I''m looking over trueSpace5, Bryce5, 3DS 4, Maya in the stores, but can''t really make up my mind, simply because I don''t know the difference. So, I''m asking for your help - please tell me what you use and what''s best - I''m not a professional 3D-modeler and I''m not planning on becoming one - but I want to simply and quickly create nice looking 3D shapes. Thank you in advance, Dennis MCP, MCSD
MCP, MCSD
Try blender

Here are 2 tutorials.

-------
Me Hardguy.
and here is my game...
Advertisement
3dsmax 4 (though is a bit expensive).

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
I agree with the 3Ds max. If cost isnt a problem, go with that. excellent plugins, and wonderful texture editors. not to mention character studio, which comes along for the ride when you buy max. I definately recomend 3Ds Max. 4 is the latest out, i''m pretty sure.
3ds Max 4. You download the upgrade to 4.2
It''s very powerful, has tons of options and a very easy to use interface (once you learn a couple things). The tutorials are great, and there are many more out on the web for it.

Although I haven''t had the chance to try it out myself, Maya seems to be the other top-runner in 3D modelling software. They have a demo of it, if you''d like to try it out before buying. It''s more expensive that 3ds max 4 I believe, though not 10 grand

------------
aud.vze.com - The Audacious Engine <-- Newbie alert, look at your own risk. Can induce severe laughing fits and other variations of hysterical outburst.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Maya cut their price to $1999.
Advertisement
Really? Wow. Haven''t checked up on them for a while. I''ve got Max 4 already so I don''t usually pay much attention

------------
aud.vze.com - The Audacious Engine <-- Newbie alert, look at your own risk. Can induce severe laughing fits and other variations of hysterical outburst.
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
If you realy wana do some good modeling use Rhino 3D its the best modiling system out there and its not that expensive, but with animations and stuff if you want cheep but good go fro the reduced Maya!
http://www.worldoffx.com/dui/
Thank you all for your comments - I believe I will give 3DSMax my close attention - as it seems that many people are using it. But does anyone use Caligari? It is used by some authors of the game programming books for some reason (maybe it''s cheaper?) - just wanted to check.

Dennis

MCP, MCSD
MCP, MCSD
Yha max is definatly bad ass! you will have fun with it if yha get it...

[edited by - Pryme8 on June 7, 2002 12:06:22 PM]
http://www.worldoffx.com/dui/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement