🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help with AI

Started by
1 comment, last by Ragadast 22 years, 1 month ago
I''ve read some articles about chess programming and I noticed they don''t do any help with code, but yes with the theory. I''m making a little, but little and basic game which needs some of the basics of chess programming, but I don''t get how to code it. Anyone has any suggestions, links or code?
Advertisement
I would first like to call your attention to a major fact: AI means collecting data on possible decisions, then choosing a possiblilty that AT THAT TIME will benefit the computer most. As I see it, that it the major downfall of most AI proggs. Very few people have come up with a code that allows the computer to determine FUTURE possibilities. Good luck breaking out of the mold... :/ But, as an emotional booster (since I know youll need it after the beat-down I just gave you), many online sites offer AI tutorials. The best thing to do (which is what Im doing with cpp) is to buy some books, read them, do the exercises in the books, then call up a guy you know who knows about the process, and ask him/her to tell you how to apply it. Good luck dude.

PS- If you choose to make a more complex game than chess, youll need to learn pathfinding (I think its called A+)
-=Kids Love It!=-
Ah, chess programming, my specialty

If you want to write your own chess program, here is what I suggest you do. I suggest you read over chess programming articles/tutorials until you are sure that you understand the basics about how each part works, and how all of the parts work together. It will be a good idea to go ahead and learn about some of the more advanced parts of a chess program, so you won't be clueless later on.

After you understand the theory behind how a chess program works, and you are ready for some source code, then I suggest you download the source code to a few basic engines and go over the source code. Remember the parts you learned about, and figure out how they are implemented in the source code (I'll provide some links, don't worry, there are plenty of open source chess programs).

I think it's important that you go over the code and learn how the different parts are implemented before you start your own coding. Otherwise what tends to happen is that you copy and paste stuff into the program, then hack it all together, and you end up with a buggy chess program, and you didn't learn a thing.

Anyway, here are some resources you might want to check out:

Computer Chess Club: www.talkchess.com
This is a great place to ask questions. There are a ton of chess programmers here. Some of the authors of the best chess programs in the world post there. They have a great amount of archives you can search too.

Bruce Moreland's webpage: http://www.seanet.com/~brucemo/
Bruce Moreland is the author of a very strong chess program named Ferret, which has competed in the computer chess world championships, and has won some strong computer chess tournaments. He has little articles on a lot of different components of a chess engine, and the basic algorithms too. If you're just starting out, then there's plenty on his webpage to keep you busy. He also has an open course chess program named Gerbil, which isn't as strong as Ferret since it's meant to be a learning tool.

Winboard Engine List: http://www.wbholmes.de/linkse_e.htm
This is a list of chess engine's that work under the graphical user interface Winboard. This will tell you which programs are open source.

Winboard Homepage: www.tim-mann.org
Tim Mann is the guy who wrote the GUI Winboard. You might find some of this useful.

There are plenty of other sites you can get by doing some searching on google, of course. I'd recommend that the first source you look at is the stuff on Bruce Moreland's webpage. It's simple and straightforward, but some of it isn't 100% correct C, like he leaves out some type declarations, but it's still very clear what's going on. After that, I'd check out Tom's Simple Chess Program (TSCP on the Winboard list). There are many other simple chess programs. The strongest open source chess program is Crafty, but it's source code is pretty hard to read, and I wouldn't recommend it for learning purposes.

Anyway, hope this helps get you started.

Russell

Edit: fixed one of the links

[edited by - Russell on June 4, 2002 2:00:33 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement