🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Chatter Bots Algorithms

Started by
3 comments, last by jjmontes 22 years ago
Hi... does anybody know what kind of algorithms and AI is used in chatterbots? Real programers are not afraid from maths! (I am) (from an Asfixia Member I think) JJpRiVaTe (Private Zone)
-=[ J ]=-I always forget to change the tagline.
Advertisement
I''d say regular expressions for pattern matching and more or less sophisticated state machines for decision.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Go look at alicebot.org (or maybe .net?).

I believe that they are the most common chatterbot out there right now.
The most known bot for chatting is ELIZA.
The quake II arena bots use a modified version of eliza for their chatter system.
Gamasutra has the MAsters'' thesis of the guy who wrote the bot, and he explains how his bot chats. Quite interesting really.
You might wanna look up the eliza code, too.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
For a rough idea, why not ask the bot itself? Most of the better ones are more than happy to tell you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement