Advertisement

Completly New

Started by June 05, 2002 01:18 PM
9 comments, last by Broken Stasis 22 years, 3 months ago
I''m absolutely and totaly new to game design, and figured that this was the best place to start. I''m more into the 3D art aspect of it, but I want to learn programmnig to start my own small games. I have both visual C++ 6.0 and Visual Basic 6.0, but dont know where to start. I''ve heard of people taking on mentors and I rather liked that concept. If there is anyone here who doesnt mind helping the newbie, let me know either here or preferably through email. My email address is br0ken_stasis@yahoo.com. "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human" - Mouse
"To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human" - Mouse
If you wanan make games you need to use C++. Buy yourself a C++ book(Not VISUAL C++ 6 or something because learning Windows programming while learning C++ yourself isn''t going to help you much, it only makes stuff confusing). Read the entire book(A good book has at least 500 pages) and when you think you know enough of C++ you could buy yourself a Game programming book for 2D. Be prepared to learn at least a year before game programming can even start.

Sand Hawk

----------------
-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
Advertisement
Sand_hawk that attitute is a bit negative. You don't need a year nor C++ knowledge to program small games. Getting up to speed with VB 6 is just fine to get started.

[edited by - felonius on June 6, 2002 7:13:51 AM]
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Why buying a book?
WOXPRESS C++ tutorial comes with C++ 6.0, am I right?
But if you''re searching for a nice book, look for:
C++ in 10 minutes, Jesse Liberty.
(Well, they mean each lesson is 10 minutes, distracting title, isn''t it?)

Hey, with this book I learned C++ in 3 weeks (well, only the language).

Never think you are great, for you did not create yourself.
Thanks for the great replies guys, I appreciate them. I''m gonna stick around here for a while, and read up on some c++ stuff, like you suggested. Thanks again.

"To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human" - Mouse
I personally like physical books better than computer based books because it is tangible and more easier to read. The first book I bought was "C++ Programming For Dummies Pocket Reference" for $6 and that book got me through my first year of programming.

Also, you dont need to read and read and read and only after you have read everything begin coding, I started coding on the very first day I got that book - it wasn''t Quake, nor was it even my own code, I copied one of the first small programs from the book and then taught myself by modifiying it and playing around with what the book had taught me.

I dont read to learn, I read to gain an understanding and an idea. I code to learn.

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader''s Realm
Advertisement
DirectX 7.0 in 24 hours, Sam.

I''m currently learning C++ myself, I bought the book "Learn C++ in 21 days", its real good!! I''also bought the book "Windows game programming for dummies", wich gives an indight in directX, platform games, physics, simple well-needed maths etc. Test a lot of things and write a lot of codes to learn as much as possible.

- Learn what you already know, cause you will learn everything you thought you knew!
is C++ for dummies 4th edition good for beginners?

because it says you dont need to know any prior programming, but it talks about some strange stuff later on, and im having a little trouble now with it. That books only about 400 pages too. Is sams teach your self visual c++ in 21 days better?

Well, a lot of C++ books don''t assume the reader has prior knowledge in any language. An example is C++ in 21 days.

Aside from that, I really hate the Dummies line of books because they often go extremeley slow and don''t cover as much as other books. Well, that''s my opinion I guess.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement