🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ever heard of this?

Started by
37 comments, last by Mulligan 22 years ago
quote: Original post by Timkin
Clearly the program is biased and I wouldn''t suggest that it is displaying intelligent behaviour.

I never said it was intelligent - just that it isn''t stupid What I meant was that it does incredibly well given that it has zero context.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
Advertisement
In case you all hadn''t already seen it, this was on /. earlier, and is relevant to the topic. However, sitting around all day entering common sense inferrences might drive me crazy after 18 years. The people who do it are just crazy. There must be a better way

By the way, I tried out that MIT one, and when I typed in "Show me a picture of Jupiter" it did so, but when I typed in "Show me Jupiter" it spat out facts. Seems like there is still work to be done (I don''t think that the statement is that subtle), but still impressive.

ewen
I''d just like to straiten some things out, we call ourselfs Americans because the word America is in our name(United States of _America_). In the word ''Canada'' does the word America show up any any where? I think people would rather be identified by nation, not continent.

Thats like calling Russians Asians because they live on the continent of Asia. When I hear Asians i think of China, Japan, or people that appear to be of Oriental decent.

Think about that, smart guy
Okay, but I live on the continent of Australia. Should I not be called an Australian?

Timkin
quote: Original post by Kwizatz
USA by its size and location on the globe needs almost no resources from outside, so little to no diplomacy is needed.

Well that''s just completely wrong. The US is a large importer of food products and manufactured goods. In fact, the only way they keep their local markets alive is by applying huge tariffs on imported goods and giving massive subsidies to primary producers who export. That''s how they keep much of the world in an economic down-turn: by flooding world food markets with subsidised meat and grain!

As for diplomacy, well, I won''t go into that lest we stir up a hornets nest!

Timkin
Original post by Kwizatz
USA by its size and location on the globe needs almost no resources from outside, so little to no diplomacy is needed.

No diplomacy hein ? Right...,You mean no diplomacy or disasterous diplomacy ? it''s s because of that way of thinking that you guys have all the problems you have now with Bin Laden and maniacs like him

Bruno
God, you people are knit picky

"Okay, but I live on the continent of Australia. Should I not be called an Australian?"

whats your country called!?!?

And BTW, you want me to laugh at your terrorists? TIRA! hahahaha! just kidding, TIRA is a bad, bad people.

little do you know that the USA help you A LOT! did you know that we can tap your citizens phone lines, and not get into trouble? your goverment lets us (Not normal people, just those psychopath terrorists or militants) The British does the same for the USA. The FBI/CIA/NSA can''t listen into the citizens phones, break into their houses ect.

We depend on each other, no need for these insults
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
God, you people are knit picky

"Okay, but I live on the continent of Australia. Should I not be called an Australian?"

whats your country called!?!?

It was a joke AP! Intended to lighten the mood in this thread, which has gotten way off topic. I suggest that people continue this discussion in The Lounge and not in this thread.

Thanks,

Timkin
Actually, the dispute about the president is irrelevant.

The poster didn''t have quotes from the thing. He just remembered what it was like. while it is probable that a system like that would answer with a US president, there is no reason to squabble over nothing
quote:
Exactly what would you like us to call ourselves?

quote:
Whatever you want but Americans, I think.

exactly, jjmontes made a great point

quote:
Thats like calling Russians Asians because they live on the continent of Asia. When I hear Asians i think of China, Japan, or people that appear to be of Oriental decent.

Think about that, smart guy

hmmm, no, you think about it, if Russians dont call themselves Asians, why would you name yourselves Americans?
America is in the name to denote where the union of states is located, would it made sence to you if say the British were refering to themselves as the only Europeans, and calling England Europe by itself?

quote:
Well that's just completely wrong. The US is a large importer of food products and manufactured goods. In fact, the only way they keep their local markets alive is by applying huge tariffs on imported goods and giving massive subsidies to primary producers who export. That's how they keep much of the world in an economic down-turn: by flooding world food markets with subsidised meat and grain!

Yes, but if USA did not imported anything, would their people suffer hunger? dont think so, USA buys from outside cos they want to drink Costa Rican Coffee, Argentinian Meat, and such, not cos they NEED to, I never heard of USA begging for food from any other country because their food producing land was flooded, when things like that happen, help comes from the other states.

quote:
No diplomacy hein ? Right...,You mean no diplomacy or disasterous diplomacy ? it's s because of that way of thinking
that you guys have all the problems you have now with Bin Laden and maniacs like him

We dont have any problems, we have a great relationship with USA, in fact, USA is the Hostile one Imposing more regulations for people going from Costa Rica to USA because of 9/11, we are not terrorists, we dont even have an army, yet we still pay. People from USA can come and go as they please here, in fact, come over, you might see a country that has more freedom than USA, its the opinion of all my USA friends.

Now The Americas is NOT Mexico and to the south, The Americas is the whole 4 Americas, North America, Central America, South America and Insular America, yes Cubans are Americans too.
maybe you can call yourselves North Americans, and then just deal with the Canadians about them also being North Americans? at least its not the whole continent you would be stepping over.

[edited by - kwizatz on June 10, 2002 11:35:17 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement