🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

XBox = iPC ?

Started by
9 comments, last by Altmann 24 years, 3 months ago
Reading the specs of the XBox, I had the strange feeling that this is not going to be a video game system like its official competitors but more a PC version of the iMac. Am I the only one with this feeling ? And knowing that Apple just can''t file a lawsuit against M$ the way it did against some iMac cloners doesn''t do much to change this idea.
Advertisement
I wouldn''t dare to think that MS would steal ideas from the iMac concept, not just because Mac is crap, but because last time Apple filed a (big) lawsuit against MS, it took just about 10 (!) years to solve (even if MS won).

The buzzword light clients/net clients is a thing most PC companies seem to be intrested in, MS too. But if X-box will be called a LC/NC I don''t know.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert, put it in an interesting way. NC''s are for people to stupid to setup one of todays computers (even with color coded cables) and yuppy people who want to "try out that internet thing". They forgo any instructions and start plugging cables into any orifice they can find. So if you see your neighbors dog scooting along the back porch, you now they just got an NC.

"YOU APES WANNA LIVE FOREVER?" Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
"Who wants to live forever?" Queen
"Never trust a bald barber" me
B^)
Whats wrong with macs?
...douche bag.

Im really sick of people dismissing Macs as being crap. As far as im concerned, i can do more on my G4 than id be able to do on any computer. stop being ignorant.

1) Don''t be stupid, Macs are cool. MacOS has problems but they will be solved shortly.

2) Last time Apple filed a lawsuit against Microsoft that I am aware of was for Quicktime code being used in VfW... and Apple won.

3) How many lawsuits can Apple file against M$, a corporation now possessing about 25% of Apple ? Knowing that a prerequisite to M$''s investment was also dropping several charges ?

4) This one definitely looks like a family-oriented LC/NC.

===
David Teller
Editions Vigdor
http://www.vigdor.com
ddt@vigdor.com
David.Teller@ens-lyon.fr
http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~dtelle

Les Mots appartiennent a ceux qui savent s''en servir.
MS doesnt own that much, its just a myth. But thanks for you not dissmissing the mac as a POS

You sure MS doesn''t hold that much ? I believe I remember a story about 150M$, 25%, patents agreement and no seats on the executive office.
Altman: exactly my thoughts
I think it''s all a matter of personal preference. I really don''t like Macs, but that''s probably because I grew up on MSDOS/Windows.

But don''t get me wrong - I think Windows has its issues, too. Sometimes I wish I had one key to do my "CTRL+ALT+DEL" command.

If there were more games for it, I''d be running RedHat Linux right now. =)

"If at first you don't succeed... destroy all evidence of ever trying"
"If at first you don't succeed... destroy all evidence of ever trying"
Back to the original question (I personally don't like MACs, but I know a lot of graphic artists who do):

IGN has a pretty good FAQ up on the X-Box -- At this time, it doesn't sound like they want it to be a PC of any kind (even claiming it won't have any sort of browser/email support). Check out the article at:

http://pc.ign.com/news/16443.html

-Chris

---<<>>---
Chris Rouillard
Software Engineer
crouilla@hotmail.com

Edited by - crouilla on 3/22/00 5:46:57 PM

Edited by - crouilla on 3/22/00 5:47:26 PM
---<<>>--- Chris Rouillard Software Engineercrouilla@hotmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement