Advertisement

just learning art

Started by June 12, 2002 08:10 PM
8 comments, last by Rickwi22 22 years, 2 months ago
Im actually a programmer, but I cant find an artist to help me with my 3d game, so I got PaintShopPro and started playing around with it, and in a few a minutes I made IMHO a cool looking grass texture to tile over my landscape, I would like some input as to how I could make it better, and where I could learn a little more about 2d art, or 3d art. If I improved, would anyone like to play a game with my art in it, or do I stink even for a beginer, any and all constructive critisms would be appreciated. Here is the link Here Its from geocities so cut and paste it
http://pub3.ezboard.com/bhowtodrawanime

Everyone here knows a lot about art. Just ask around, you''ll get tons of links.

good luck

-Sage13
Advertisement
Aside from being a bit too vivid green, that looks pretty cool. And I''m guessing it''s much better than anything I can do. I just picked up PSPro myself and haven''t had much of a chance to dive into it yet.

What did you use in PSPro to make this?

Also, I''ve been reading some excellent articles lately in Game Developer magazine on creating good textures. While more than half the material has been way over my programmer head, there''s some great about how to create a texture and tricks to make it tile well over a large area (such as a field of grass). Check out the July issue for the latest in the "Artist''s View" series of articles.

--Roderick Smith
--Roderick Smith
Something very important is to normalize the colors so you get as little contrast as possible while still looking like grass. Your image is too shiny.

Also, If you offset the image in the x and y direction, you''ll see 2 lines crossing your image made by the fact that each pixel at the opposite border of your image were not the same colors / didn''t match. Theses "lines" are what make a texture non-seamless. Right now if you fill a grid with that texture you would be able to see where the quads intersect. Get rid of them by using the clone brush or smudge or whatever tool you want. It will probably look a little blurry in the middle so you could pass a small blur filter on the entire image.

Offset again to see if everything is ok. If not, repeat until happy.
Thanks for the advice, Ill polish it a litle bit and make it better, by the way the tool I like to use is called Flaming Pears Blade Pro, its a plugin and is VERY cool, I learned about in a book I borrowed froma a friend, hes not an artist anymore so he gave me PSP 5, full version, and a couple hundred page book, called Learn PaintShopPro in 24 hours.
Let me know what you think of that 24 Hours book as you work through it. I couldn''t find any PSPro books that seemed to be well-recommended, so I just got PSPro7 for Dummies, since I''ve never done any kind of CG art before. I''m looking all over for some good beginner''s information on art tools (2D and 3D), but can''t seem to find very much.

--Roderick Smith
--Roderick Smith
Advertisement
Filters (in general) are a bad idea. Most people will advise you to paint your own texture by hand. But hey, whatever works I think someone stated it above, but one thing you have to keep in mind when making a tile, is to make it such that people don''t know where one starts and the other begins. Try tiling it and see how it looks, before you finalize it.
Peon
I was reading about how to make it tile well, i had not even considered putting it into my game yet, but if it tiles well, iI might,
BTW, why are filters so bad? They make alot of things easier for me, but the only one i actually use is BladePro

[EDIT] I uploaded a new version

[edited by - rickwi22 on June 15, 2002 7:42:09 PM]
quote: Original post by hpox
Something very important is to normalize the colors so you get as little contrast as possible while still looking like grass. Your image is too shiny.

I don''t think you actually meant normalise here... normalisation will give you maximum contrast. But yeah, backgrounds should be low on contrast, and this should be easy to do in any photo-editing package.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
Yep. Normalize wasn''t the good term. :/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement