Advertisement

Including Resources

Started by June 13, 2002 04:26 PM
4 comments, last by Klear 22 years, 3 months ago
I am going through chapter 3 in Tricks. It is covering including resources such as .wav, icons, etc. What I don''t understand is why would you makw reference to symbolic identifiers? It seems more work than to just use a string name. What are the difference between the two? And if you include them by string name, there is no need for a resource header file right? Thank You
Well, mine wouldn''t actually work with string resources.

Insert > Resource

If you''re using VC++ then add resources that way, it automatically creates your .rc script and creates resource.h, so make sure you
#include "resource.h" 

The resource thing is easy to use, you add it, then name it, then you can use it - quicker than the way Lamothe shows you. Although it''s doing what he said, just without needing you much
Advertisement
Yes, you don''t need headers to reference resources by string names. However, looking up integers is faster than looking up strings, and strings take much more memory. MS recommends that everyone use identifiers instead of strings.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
Thank You. I think you answered my question...

another on this topic:

does VC++ add rescources by constant or string? I am assuming constant since you say they recommend that everyone use identifiers instead of strings.

Yea, constant.
------Shop for the Lowest Price!Then, Check a Reseller's Rating Before You Purchase!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement