🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

An online AI project

Started by
0 comments, last by OldSchoolNinja 22 years ago
Has anyone else besides me read or heard anything about that AI project that''s been going on since ''84? Apparently a group of programmers, philosphers, mathematicians and the such decided in order to create artificial intelligence you have to give it massive amounts of data that help it to understand what''s really being said. Like if I said: "I had a baby." It''s a simple statement, but look at everything that''s really being said by it. The fact that I said it in first-person means I''m human (or one of the talking parrots...). It also means that I''m a woman. You can further estimate that I''m probably 16 or older (since it''s rare for girls younger than that to have babies). You can also figure out that I must not be a virgin. And, most importantly, you understand that I gave birth to the baby. By saying "I had" it could mean that I picked one up a few moments ago but gave it away. The team took all these things into account and have worked to help it understand these things. The program is called "Cyc". Well the reason I bring this up is after all these years they say they''ve taught it as much as they can, and now it needs real life experience. So they''re putting Cyc online so that it can interact with others and learn through communication. I saw it again mentioned in the newspaper a few days ago, so I thought if this thing is for real it could be a good experience for all of us to have a chat with it.
Advertisement
I think you are referring to http://www.opencyc.org/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement