Advertisement

I'm new, poor, and can't get anything to work.

Started by June 14, 2002 09:42 AM
8 comments, last by Saith 22 years, 3 months ago
(I''m a pesimest too!) I''ve been lurking here (in the forums) for about a week now. Hi, I guess . . . I don''t know any customs to introducing ones self to these forums and haven''t seen anyone do it yet, so I might sound like a freak . For a good number of months I''ve been attempting to follow some of the articles here and realized the only thing I made out of it was a better understanding of trig (In the beginning, I was overly ambitious and went right to the 3d tutorials. I realized I can barely create a window, much less initialize directx, and thought that that was just a little out of my scope). I''ve attempted to follow the hands-on tutorials, and liked the way they were written (And I know that they are a year old) until I was asked to download some basecode.cpp and whatnot, which (apparently) is nonexistent on any of the supplied webpages (and the angelfire 404 jokes don''t make me laugh anymore), so I discontinued waiting for someone to please post them in that forum. Before I continue ranting, I wanna say that my computer really sucks for this type of thing, since it runs on Windows ME, and therefore cannot have Visual C++ (Which I certainly can''t afford anyway) and I have gcc and bcc as compilers (I have an okay understanding of C/C++), and I''ve tried to get directx running with bcc, which confuses me. I have a clearer understanding of why so many people hate Microsoft. I also have linux, but that doesn''t really interest me. I could try OpenGL, but all the tutorials seem to require VC++, just like every source seems to require VC++. Anything OTHER than VC++ will be a pain to open, compile, and run. Why does EVERYONE have VC++?? It''s the best for games, of course. But all tutorials and howto''s are aimed for people with VC++, and, dammit, I can''t AFFORD VC++ (It''s fun to say Vee-See-Plus-Plus, but I don''t know why). I can''t even afford to upgrade from the pinacle of bad OS''s: Windows ME. Actually, I can''t afford anything (I can get BOOKS from my dad, so that really isn''t an issue, but I doubt he or anyone else is willing to spill out so much for me. And, yeah, I''m 14. Just another hyperactive kid who''ll change his hobbies next week, right? I waste too much time being bitter, cynical, and sarcastic to be hyperactive.) Sooo . . . I was wondering: HOW can I get DirectX to work with bcc. I''ve read tutorials, sure, and they mention using implib, but I can''t get that to work (all the tuts say: "use implib for libraries." but nothing else. Actually it COULD be working and I''d have no clue, because there''s no confirmation. I type implib [lib goes here] and then it just shows me the commands to enter as if I just typed up implib by itsself), and if I try to compile it says something about linking with cox32.obj, and I searched everywhere (here and google) and had no luck. Typing cox32.obj here has some guy saying that he has this problem, and, oh, he''s fixed it, and then another guy says that it''d be nice if he did explain his solution, and I was hoping I could scroll down to that fine solution, but it wasn''t there. (For some bizarre reason I can''t repeat the problem the linker gave me with cox32.obj since I don''t know the source it originated from, which is why I''m not telling what the exact words it gave me.) I''ve looked all over for the DirectX''s that borland can use (The ones that microsoft, oops!, "forgot" to include with the SDK), and I know that they''re probably in some really obvious place that I just overlooked. Anyway, sorry that I rant and sorry for a lengthy introduction thread, and I''m also sorry for my manners. If there is some etiquette that I overlooked PLEASE tell me so I don''t look stupid in the future. I''m also sorry if I sound pretentious, because I''m getting that feeling that I might. Also, I''m really sorry for the way that most threads I''ve ever made in my life make no sense, so here''s all that I need: * Getting DirectX to work with Bcc32 (I feel like I''ve been everywhere) * If my lack of VC++ or 2000/XP/Not-Me hinders me to the point where everything is impossible * If anyone really truly has those Basecodes or whatever-they-are for the tutorials on the forums that died a year ago (The one that Teej started).
VC++ is actually quite cheap for the standard edition, you might even be able to get the student version, I''m not sure how you''d go about that being at high-school age though. I saved up my pennies and bought VC++ standard edition, I had a command line compiler from borland before that - which was really confusing me for anything about 10 lines.. Notepad... Eugh.

I think that PC Pro magazine (it''s £5 here) usually comes with a compiler/IDE combination of some sort that''s only about one version old, I''ve seen the name ''codewarrior'' on the CD of PC Pro before. I''ve also seen tutorials for it - if you can afford to spend a bit of cash (wash some neighbour''s cars) then I would reccomend you to buy "Tricks of the windows game programming gurus" - it also comes with a trial version of VC++ 6.

And by the way, it''s VC++.NET that doesn''t work on 98, VC++6 works on 95! Also, I think VC++.NET runs on ME fine.
Advertisement
Welcome to the forums. Just want to let you know that VC++ can run on WindowsME. At the moment my computer has WinME and I use VC++.

Goodluck

Jeff D
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
I know "Ivor Horton''s Beginning Visual C++ 6.0" comes with VC++ standard edition. There might be a version of the book for VC++.Net, I don''t know. If you can''t find this basecode.cpp file, why don''t you use the SDK samples? I learned D3D from the tutorials included in the DX8 SDK.

Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice.
___________________________________________________________Where to find the intensity (Updated Dec 28, 2004)Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
Wow . . . thanks for the help

I kinda figured that microsofts developer applications would always run on the most expensive version of windows (I figure that''d be typical of them.) . . . I didn''t know it ran on Me.

I will try the Ivor Horton book (He looks like David Oreck, for the record) . . . I was always afraid to buy books with the learning edition (I didn''t know books were sold with the standard edition either) because I didn''t think it''d run . . .

Thanks for the help
If you want the directx 8 libs for the free borland compiler, you can download them from here:

www.geocities.com/foetsch/borlibs/

The link there probably won't work, so try the french mirror instead (it has the same name, borland_dx8_libs.zip).
That mirror is here:
www.developpez.com/c/directx8bc.htm

Goto the guy's main page to get more information on using them:
www.geocities.com/foetsch

[edited by - nathanSDK on June 14, 2002 11:28:50 AM]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Saith

* Getting DirectX to work with Bcc32 (I feel like I''ve been everywhere)
* If my lack of VC++ or 2000/XP/Not-Me hinders me to the point where everything is impossible
* If anyone really truly has those Basecodes or whatever-they-are for the tutorials on the forums that died a year ago (The one that Teej started).

First of all, getting DX to work with BCC, is one heck of a tough job, and even though, it works, you will surely meet new obstacles as you go on.

As for VC++ on WinMe, that used to be my setup and it worked just fine. Ok, it was pretty ustable due to WinMe but that''s a minor thing.

Now, that basecode, I don''t know where you could get it but if you want to learn OGL, visit: http://nehe.gamedev.net and check out the firt section of tutorials which cover lessons 1-5 and download his base code which is ported for:

* ASM
* Borland C++ Builder 5.0
* Code Warrior 5
* Cygwin
* Delphi
* Game GLUT
* Irix
* Java
* Linux
* Linux/GLX
* Linux/SDL
* Mac OS
* MacOS X/GLUT
* MASM
* Power Basic
* Python
* Solaris
* Visual Basic
* Visual Fortran

The version for BC++ Builder should work for you, if not, the Cygwin version could work for you.

One last thing, if you want a good IDE/Compiler combo for free, visit: www.bloodshed.net and download Dev-C++, the latest version is still under dev but works pretty fine. Now, with that said, I''m off...

"DaHjajmajQa''jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote: Original post by garconbifteck

I''ve seen the name ''codewarrior'' on the CD of PC Pro before.

It might have been the free palm compiler though since CodeWarrior don''t have a free version( except for the palm version ) of their compiler which is really a drag.

If it was their C/C++ compiler, let me know if you ever see it again, buy me a copy... ( And no, I''m not kidding, let me know and I''ll take care of it from there )...

"DaHjajmajQa''jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
Ooh, I didn''t notice those on the Nehe tuts. Thanks :D
quote: Original post by Cyberdrek
If it was their C/C++ compiler, let me know if you ever see it again, buy me a copy... ( And no, I''m not kidding, let me know and I''ll take care of it from there )...

There was almost certainly a free edition on the CD of PC Pro, infact I bought that magazine that month! I just found the CD under my bed, although - I''ve looked on the Codewarrior website and the program''s on version 8, the one on the CD is version 5

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement