Advertisement

Qbasic screen

Started by June 14, 2002 02:20 PM
5 comments, last by drgn 22 years, 3 months ago
I know its stupid to use ancient Qbasic to do ANYTHING but is there anyway to get the running screen size up from the default to 800-600? And is there anyway to get a gif like pic sequence to run in one of the pixel squares?
I think I remember this, I programmed in QBasic for years, since I was like 8

SCREEN 13

Creates a 320x480x16 resolution.

SCREEN 12

Creates 800x600x8 resolution.

Screen 13 has useful features like backbuffering and page flipping.

That's as far as I think you can get with QBasic, at least to my knowledge.

Remember you must set the screen resolution before you can run any graphics functions.

Check the help in QBasic under the SCREEN statement.

[edited by - Ronin Magus on June 14, 2002 3:42:56 PM]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Ronin Magus
I think I remember this, I programmed in QBasic for years, since I was like 8

SCREEN 13

Creates a 320x480x16 resolution.

SCREEN 12

Creates 800x600x8 resolution.

Screen 13 has useful features like backbuffering and page flipping.

That''s as far as I think you can get with QBasic, at least to my knowledge.

Are you sure? I thought Screen 13 was VGA/MCGA. I don''t remember any resolutions higher than 640 (well 720 for Hercules Mono) or color depths higher than 8-bit.

If I recall, here are the screen modes
0 - 4-bit color Text
1 - 2-bit color 320x200 CGA
2 - 1-bit mono 640x200 CGA
4 - 1-bit mono 720x348 Hercules (i think--this may be 3)
7 - 4-bit color 320x200 EGA
8 - 4-bit color 640x200 EGA
9 - 4-bit color 640x350 EGA
11 - 1-bit mono 640x480 MCGA/VGA
12 - 4-bit color 640x480 VGA
13 - 8-bit color 320x200 MCGA/VGA

To do anything else you will need to link to an external library or possibly use peeks and pokes.

--TheMuuj
--TheMuuj
Yes, I''m sorry, it''s 640x480 for screen 12, not 800x600 (That''s quite a difference )
To get above those resolutions, you need to hack it. I''m fairly sure they do it by "Poke"ing some ASM into memory, and then executing that. Check around for a QBasic specific site, they will likely have stuff about that.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
Actually, I still use QB to program games. With the help of libraries written in ASM, the QB game scene has come quite far, especially in the last 6 months. 3D games are now very possible in QB. Anyways, TheMuuj was right with the screen reses. If you want 800x600 your best bet is a library called Future.lib; it handles resolutions up to 2048x1536(I think) anywhere from 8-32 bit color. If you need smaller resolutions, like 320x200 I suggest one of the fast VGA libs like DirectQB(the best), CosmoX, or DASH. If you've never used QB libraries before, they can take a little while to get set up at first, but it's all basic stuff, like creating a batch file. If you have trouble with Future.lib get DirectQB to practice setting libs up. DQB has, by far, the best documentation of any library out there and has an extensive section about how to set up. You'll need Qbasic 4.5(not lower, not higher) to use most libs. You can get that at my site.

Here's some links:
[Removed link to your site. QuickBasic 4.5 is a commercial product, therefore it is ILLEGAL to distribute it. Don't ever post warez or links to warez on this site again, I'll be watching]
http://www.qb45.com -> The home of Future.Lib, you can also get DirectQB here.
http://www.ecplusplus.com ->I think this is the home of DQB, but the link is down right now so I can't test that.

Hope this helps. Keep QB'ing, it may not be sleek, but It's been the most satisfying programming experience I've found. No crap to get in the way. Straight to the metal!

[edited by - Michalson on June 15, 2002 8:23:39 AM]

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement
Whoops! almost forgot! Future.Lib does GIFs too!

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement