Advertisement

Writing the program

Started by June 14, 2002 07:50 PM
14 comments, last by MasterJediR2D2 22 years, 3 months ago
Hello, im a newbie. this is a stupid question but im gonna ask it anyway. In what program do I actually write the code?
You can use just any text editor to write your code in.
Then, you need a compiler which will turn your code into an executable.

The compiler is the part that matters.

What compiler to use ? Well, it depends on the language you want to program in, on whether you want to pay for it, and so on.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Fruny
You can use just any text editor to write your code in.
Then, you need a compiler which will turn your code into an executable.

The compiler is the part that matters.

What compiler to use ? Well, it depends on the language you want to program in, on whether you want to pay for it, and so on.

~~~~~~~~~~

Do I have to buy text editors? and are there any that are already installed onto windows 98?

Notepad
Edit.com

By text editor Fruny literally meant "anything that lets you type text and save the result to a file." The only difference for major products like MS Visual C++ is that the text editors are...quite a lot fancier . They perform the basic operation of letting you type in things and save them, but include other nice things like highlighting your code and displaying tree views, etc.
Already installed :
- notepad
- wordpad

Free download (and somewhat more suited to editing code)

- GNU Emacs for Win32

g++ compiler for win32 (command line)

- MinGW
- Cygwin g++

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
quote: Original post by Alimonster
By text editor Fruny literally meant "anything that lets you type text and save the result to a file."

I draw the line at EDLIN.COM

Advertisement
Your best bet is to get yourself a copy of Microsoft Visual C++ 6, its good, its cheap and its easy to use! You can probably pick up a cheap student license for about £30!

No flaming from anti-microsoft fanatics plz!

bangz.
http://www.bloodshed.com or .net im not realy sure! ;-)
And there are they're are a lot of compilers you can download

[edit]Dev-C++ you can download legally so, f*** *ff...

[edited by - Michalson on June 15, 2002 7:58:00 AM]

[edited by - pipo declown on June 15, 2002 10:54:43 AM]
quote: Original post by Pipo DeClown
they''re are a lot of compilers you can download of kazaa, or elsewhere....

Pipo, I''d reccomend you to not say things like that again, especially in a DEVELOPMENT forum! heh.

It''s illegal and you know it.
What''s illegal? Downloading from kazaa?
no way!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement