🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

why the PS2 is so UGLY?

Started by
23 comments, last by MASARANDUBA 24 years, 3 months ago
I think it LOOKS cool, but the game that it launched with are garbage! They have fighting, a really bad strategy game, and sports games. They should launch with action titles, adventure titles, RPGs- anything but the genres that I dislike the most! :p
I think PS2 is gonna bomb, meaning that, it''s not going to impress players as they thought it would. The Dreamcast did that. Sure, they have some great arcade games, but none of them have enough depth other than a couple (Sonic, Soul Calibur). If PS2 has this type of library where it''s all coin-op style games, it''s gonna be a let down just like the Dreamcast. However, the game''s that I AM looking forward to for the PS2 is FF10 and FF11... so so very amazing...
I can''t think of any other games that have struck my attention for the system other than The Bouncer (only because it looks Matrix-esque).

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
I like the look. But more important than its actual characteristics is the fact that it fits with a home stereo system, which was their goal I imagine. Todays consoles are out of place compared to other home entertainment pieces next to the TV. All stereo equipment is rectangular, stackable, and front loading.

Now the PS2 is too. All part of their "Sony Home Entertainment Universe" id imagine.

-Geoff
have to agree with that one, that was probably the whole mindset that sony had in mind this time...DVD, Sleek look, smash it on its side and you got another piece of the home system. I just hope that it gets launched with more than just a fighting game and a racing game that shows off what it can do....dont get me wrong, i like them both, but just having RRV doesnt cut it
FF 10 and 11?! caaan''t take anymore. the newer ones were dumb, i still like the snes ones best.
-werdup-
Well, I also agree that the console look is based on the idea of matching consumers current home stereo/video equipment. Think about it. Most of the PS2''s will be found on a home stereo shelf racked with other high quality (or low quality ) equipment which looks like the PS2 will. Another great feature of it that I have not seen mentioned is its ability to play the original PS games. This feature alone brings Sony ahead of the console genre because it lets the consumers know that Sony will still pay attention to the original PS instead of forgetting about it as other comapany''s tend to do. Also, FF9, FF10, and I have seen mention of FF11 is the PERFECT reason to buy the PS2.
FF X AND FFXI??
FFVII WAS cool FFVII is DUMB man i am looking fowrward to anothers experiences ,final fantasy series is the same thing since FFIII, good graphics cannot change a old, dead and burried promise, and for online gaming a perfer phantasy star online (is sonic team!!)before any FF and the upcoming dreamcast rpg seem to be more than any FF can be
you already see eternal arcadia? or Grandia 2?

...and the dreamcast will have the BEST fighting game of ever SNKvsCAPCOM

...and the PS2 network capabilitis are a promise and for dreamcast is a reality

...and the dreamcast is very prety if compared to the PS2

...and the X-box is coming we all now than the microsoft don´t play to lose

need to say more?

when a close my eye i see the ugly PS2 in my front AHHHHHH

-because she knows than you love her
-WHAT, I can be a half-mystyc but i still a woman!!
-you humans are so hiprocts

talk between lady Asellus and Zozma. Saga Frontier

Nintendo Dolphin will have everything PSX2 will have and more. (They said that in a PSX magazine)
Does anyone listen to Destiny''s Child, TLC, or Sammie?
Nintendo still does make very quality products.

It''s strange how so many people can already judge the quality of games and whether the console will be a sucess or not when they probobly haven''t even played it...
"I have realised that maths can explain everything. How it can is unimportant, I want to know why." -Me
It''s not just ugly to look at, it''s ugly to code for. Apparently some developers have just given up after tryig to work ut how to make the damn thing go.

And for anyone who cares I think the console that will be the most popular will be the one thats easier to code for. Hardware will always become obselete but if the games are still coming out then the console will live on!!!

Bassman

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement