🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

why the PS2 is so UGLY?

Started by
23 comments, last by MASARANDUBA 24 years, 3 months ago
STRANGE... I THINK THAT THE GREATEST ( THAT SONY SAID )FEATURES OF PS2 IS THE EASIER PROGAMMING , I HAVE ONE GAME MAGAZINE THAT WRITE ABOUT THE PS2 WORK TOOLS ( I THINK THAT IS THE NAME)SAYING THAT THE LINUX BASED OS2 WITH THE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS MAKE THE PS2 PROGRAMMING EASIER AND FASTER. (OF CURSE THIS BLOW UP ANY ASSEMBLER STUFF) WELL I GUESS THAT THEY ARE WRONG...
MAYBE IS FOR THAT EIDOS ARE FULL SUPORTING THE DREAMCAST...

AND WHY DVD? DVD PLAYERS ARE FAR MORE COSTLY(PROPRABILY THIS WORD IS WRONG, YOU GOT THE IDEA)THAN CD PLAYERS AND I HEARD ABOUT DREAMCAST CDS TAHT HOLD MORE THAN 5GIGS!!!!

This is the town of Boyzby.
And if you ask me again,I´ll said the
same thing! Funny, huh!?

boy in Boyzby. Thousand Arms

Advertisement
All I have heard about PS2 programming is that with the dual
graphics engine is that its quasi impossible to make that damn monster render anything to the screen. Also Ive heard that the API is very hard to learn.

Again I have only *read* this somewhere (cant remember where). So dont flame me if Im wrong

Also as for the the original post:
I think it looks good. I mean it looks less like a toy and more like an actual piece of the lving room (or wherever the hell you put it).

Edited by - Blah! on 3/30/00 6:55:44 PM
"End Communication!", Kang from Rigel-4
Look through gaming mags to find the features for new consoles. Maybe your right about that Chris. Many thought Dreamcast would be great but it''s just an N64 and PSX put together.
Does anyone listen to Destiny''s Child, TLC, or Sammie?
PS2 is not the great machine people make it out to be. The list of games is shite, the API is more complicated than directX immediate mode, and quite frankly, it looks ''orrid! The Dreamcast has got so much going for it. it''s sold more than 4.4million units world wide (which took the original PS well over a year to do), it''s got a good selection of games (Soul Calubur, Sonic, Crazy Taxi), which many more on the way soon (Resident Evil: code Veronica, VRally 2000 edt, Shenmue), so how the hell can you say tge PS2 is better?

The other thing that Dreamcast has going for it is the operating system - Windows CE! Just about every PC port is using it, allowing develpers to re-write a mininum amount of code, and concentrate on adding more features. Half Life is using a mixture of WinCE and the DC libs, and games like Worms Armageddon use WinCE on it''s own.

The PS2 might be getting unreal tournement with no network capabilities, but DC is getting Unreal, and Quake III with FULL deathmatch capabilities, plus "mini-lan" support, allowing you to link DCs together via the serial port, allowing people full screen playability.

how many control ports does the PS2 have? cuz i can only see 2... and i see 4 on the DC...

PS2 sucks. DC rules. ''nuff said.

MENTAL

keeping with the topic: PS2 is uuuuuuugggggglllllllyyyyyy! when will people lean that black consoles are out of fashion. the only black console that looks good is ye old Mega Drive (genesis to those in the US). Sony, get with the times!!!
To Deluxe:

The Dreamcast is not a N64 and PS put together, not even close. Take a look at the specs.
Its RAM for sound is equal to both the PS sound RAM put together.

If anyone here doesn't believe me, take a look at the PS2 and DC specs. DC has 4mb of RAM for sound where both PS have 2.

Sure the PS2 is more powerful, but with a API more complicated than anything else, its putting off developers.
That and the 5Million Licensing fee. That means that if your game doesn't sell, you could go out of business, and the fact that most new game companies with original ideas wont have the money is making things worst. Only the big companies will have enough dough to produce for the PS2.
And when was the last you saw a big company make something original?

Edited by - Blah! on 4/1/00 2:18:09 PM
"End Communication!", Kang from Rigel-4

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement